Chad Kohalyk's Reviews > The New Digital Age: Reshaping the Future of People, Nations and Business

The New Digital Age by Eric Schmidt

liked it
bookshelves: audio, working

These two speak as the establishment, and some of their proposals will scare proponents of the open Web. Many of their other proposals are basically blue sky solutioneering. I think this book will appeal to those already in power, which is disappointing because I find their view is far to statist and establishment to reflect the true disruptive power and decentralized nature that Web connectivity gives us. But policy writers will point to this book as a mandate from the "tech elite" which makes it an important read. Study it closely and highlight as much as you can. There are many layers here. Think of who the messages are intended for, and be very critical in your assessment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Digital Age.

May 6, 2013 – Shelved
May 6, 2013 –
10.0% "So far the first chapter feels like reading the pamphlet of the '86 Expo. I _know_ Evgeny Morozov is going to hate this book."
May 9, 2013 –
May 10, 2013 –
45.0% "Since I read This Machine Kills Secrets first, this book seems particularly dangerous to the web as a whole. Very statist. Universal User Registration? A supernational committee for quarantining non-conforming IPs? This is a big tech company guy and a government guy trying to organize and regulate the internet. Seems like the wrong approach to take to me."
May 13, 2013 –
Started Reading
May 16, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Chad Kohalyk Follow up on my blog: The New Banality — a review of The New Digital Age by Eric Schmidt & Jared Cohen http://j.mp/16AgOUo w/ addendum by Julian Assange