Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com's Reviews > Beneath a Sapphire Sea

Beneath a Sapphire Sea by Jessica  Bryan

Jun 23, 2009

bookshelves: mermaid, romance, paranormal, adult, own-paperback
Recommended for: Fantasy romance lovers looking for a new kind of storyline.
Read in August, 2009

I read a raving review for this book on a romance column and was so interested by the unique storyline that I had to buy it! So I went on Amazon to order it and found that it was out of print. I kind of panicked because most good books that are out of print are extremely expensive. I found one for a penny, though! So exciting!

Meredith, a landwoman and historian, goes to the Greek islands to study ancient legends about the sea. While there, she comes across Galen, a mysterious and very sexy man with rippling muscles and long dark hair. He claims to also be a scholar and offers to show her around. Meredith soon learns that Galen is different. He can read an ancient language even the most learned scholars can't identify, he has no problems at all with being wet, and he has heightened senses. She soon learns he is a mer-man.

Galen's people and friends are dying of a mysterious illness that apparently only Meredith can remedy. Galen knows this, but Meredith has no idea who she is or the knowledge she possesses. As Galen sets out to gain this knowledge, he falls in love with her and she with him. A lasting bond is formed between the two of them as they begin their journey together to save Galen's people and learn the truth about Meredith.

I just finished the book last night and I must say that it was SO worth the effort I put in to getting a copy of this book in my possession. I loved it! The descriptions Jessica Bryan writes are beautifully written. I felt like I was the one swimming through the water, gazing at all the scenery, and feeling all the feelings the characters felt. I got so wrapped up in the story and the characters that I became unaware of my own surroundings. I was very skeptical of a merfolk romance, but it was amazingly done and I already ordered used copies of Jessica's prequels, also about merfolk. Yay!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath a Sapphire Sea.

03/21 marked as: read