Laura Kurk's Reviews > The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet

The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet by Stephanie Morrill

2620599

YA author Stephanie Morrill (author of Me, Just Different) captured the true voice of the American teenage girl again in The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet. From the first line, I knew Ellie was a girl I wanted to know yesterday. She's made of stubborn, sprinkled with wryness, and wrapped with heart.

Using the classic literary device of a story within a story, Morrill keeps readers turning pages. We get to live in the contemporary lives of Morrill's high school characters while also traveling back in time to medieval Italy where Ellie's friends have become players in a courtly scene. The story within the story reveals so much about how Ellie's mind works and how she has absorbed and interpreted the drama in her life. Plus there's the "can't look away from the train wreck" aspect because we know that if Ellie's friends get hold of her manuscript, they'll be furious about how she has depicted them.

I loved so much about this book--the solid advice it gives for writers of any age who dream of publication, the presentation of a teenage girl who isn't afraid to be an intellectual, and the characters (male and female) who sound real enough to be in any high school hall.

But what tugged at me most was the lesson Ellie learns (one I learned over and over) about how to balance speaking truth with protecting the feelings of others, and why it's not always the best decision to keep secrets from everyone.

Morrill understands the delicate social lives of teen girls better than most writers these days. I highly recommend this book for girls looking for honesty about the awkward situations we find ourselves in so often in high school. Morrill doesn't pull punches about things like deceiving parents and friends or keeping secrets, but she's also gentle with Ellie and allows her to come to an awareness that's uncommonly mature by the book's end.

I can't wait for the sequel to find out how Ellie's writing life takes off and what happens to the characters she plucked from real life!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet.

Finished Reading