Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I might have rated this book higher had I read this before Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series. As it stands, the characters and the plot all feels like a very watered down version of VA. I couldn't help comparing one character to the next, and they all felt lacking. The premise is slightly different, but the boarding school setting, the reviled and necessary half-bloods, the evil daimons/strigoi, all felt rehashed, and not in a good way.

Alex is Rose, without the spunk, with more slut-shaming (does she really need to repeatedly call her nemesis Lea a skank? Is it necessary to mention that Lea is probably promiscuous?). Her actions are more impulsive than rational. While Rose is literally, kick-ass, Alex is relatively weak, and her wins versus the daimons seemed more coincidental than from purely skill. Like Rose, Alex has been on the run for awhile, but it feels like she lacks the common sense to survive on her own.

While Rose is spunky and impulsive, she has the good sense to keep it under control when it matters most, whereas Alex just feels the need to be contrary just for the sake of pissing people off, even when she is endangering her whole future. When your options are entering in a lifelong sentence of mindless servitude or being a more or less respected Sentinel, any person with common sense would try to behave and not get into further trouble. Not Alex. She is smart-mouthed and just a jerk in general, even admitting it herself.

There is the love interest, Aiden, a watered-down version of Dimitri. Caleb, the lesser version of Christian. The almighty Seth is the only one of whom I can't find a clear-cut double in Vampire Academy, but he's not altogether likeable yet.

It seems as if all of Alex's companions and closer friends are male. I'm really smelling a Mary Sue here, but I'll continue on with the series to see if that's the case.

I do like the incorporation of mythology. Whereas in some other series I've read like Mythos Academy, the living gods and goddesses do not get involved in the characters of their creation, whereas here they actually do take a part in monitoring their descendants. I enjoy the bits of lore, and I hope that will be fleshed out in the books to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

May 6, 2013 – Started Reading
May 6, 2013 – Shelved
May 7, 2013 –
page 82
29.18% "I can definitely see the similarities to Vampire Academy, if only the main character were anywhere near as awesome as Rose..."
May 7, 2013 –
May 19, 2013 – Shelved as: boarding-school
May 19, 2013 – Shelved as: angels
May 23, 2013 – Shelved as: b-word-heroine
October 3, 2013 – Shelved as: nice-authors

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Cell it`s really funny because for me it`s the other way around:)Aiden is so much more in focus and feel the connection between Rose and Aiden. With Demitri you don`t know why he likes Rose at all.

message 2: by Katbyrdie (new) - added it

Katbyrdie am i losing my mind or aren't hematoi half-bloods by actual level? I mean half of their blood is from gods. Their children, if made with another mortal, would be forth-blood, right??!

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies You're not losing your mind at all, Kat. That's how math goes :D

message 4: by Katbyrdie (new) - added it

Katbyrdie Just wanted to make sure! Once I read the description I just kind of stared and went "I can't look past this."

message 5: by Sakina (new) - added it

Sakina Is this series a recommend?

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Ummm...it depends. Armentrout has a very specific writing style. Her books are fun to read, but this one is a really close knockoff of VA, although later on in the series it deviates. Armentrout's works tend to have a strong, really bitchy heroine. No female friendship. A love triangle between an asshole and a nice guy. The MC is a special, special girl. If that bothers you, then no.

message 7: by Sakina (new) - added it

Sakina Well I have never been a fan of an extra special main character who also has two guys pinning for her with additional goody-sweet boys liking her from afar. But I tend to overlook such things if the story has depth and a really good plot and doesn't put all the aforementioned dislikes on the forefront. You gave the book a 3 stars, that has to count for something right?

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies I was a lot more relaxed with my rating at the time I rated this book. It was easy to read, it was entertaining. Probably 2-2.5 stars today, rounded down.

message 9: by Sakina (new) - added it

Sakina Not really promising but I'll give this book a try if only to make fun of it later. :P Though I hope it turns out good.

Bookloverhugger aka:Rebecca vampire academy was such a bad book

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Bookloverhugger aka:Rebecca wrote: "vampire academy was such a bad book"

Everybody has their own opinions.

Nidhi Bhatt I have never read the Vampire Academy. I loved this book.... If its similar to Vampire Academy then I will like to read it. thanks for your review!

Nicolina I totally agree that it's exactly the same as VA.
As for Seth, I think Lissa may or may not be his match bcuz Alex and Seth are connected and his impulses are her impulses like Lissa and Rose....