Megan's Reviews > The Woman Who Rides Like a Man

Jun 23, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: kidbooks, fairy-tales
Read in June, 2009

I first read this book when I was twelve. And then I read it about seventy-five more times. About a month ago I heard this author speak at a local bookstore. She said that she cannot bring herself to read any of these "Lioness Quartet" books anymore. So when I found a used copy for 50 cents I thought I would take another look at it to see why.
The story is good, but the setting and characters are ambitious. As Alanna travels to the Southern Desert and meets the tribal people who live there its hard to tell where the author's inspiration came from. The people seem Arabic, or do they? Names are a little off and some aspects of their culture don't flow evenly. Much of the dialogue feels immature and childish. This time around my favorite parts of the story were the ones without Alanna. I didn't enjoy her character as much.
Still what resonated with me was how the author seeks balance and peace between men and women. Both are honored and respected. Neither are used as tools or foils for the other. And this is true in all of her writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Rides Like a Man.