Adam's Reviews > Emotionally Weird

Emotionally Weird by Kate Atkinson

M 50x66
Jun 22, 2009

liked it

Note to self: if I have found an author who instantly becomes one of my favorite detective novelists (in her Jackson Brodie series (almost just wrote Jackson Browne, which is just downright stupid), a character that I expected to be a detective in the Robert Parker's Spenser mold but actually is much more of a sympathetic character (exchange Spenser's love of food and women with Brodie's love-from-a-distance relationship with his daughter and a constant ability/failure to get tangled in the lives of the clients that have hired him (although maybe the reason for the lack of food interest just has to do with the Brodie novels being set in the United Kingdom))), then it probably doesn't make great sense to read a novel of hers about the happenings of a group of semi-coherent/scholastic college students. While there were some amusing moments involving misplaced elderly women and a baby, as well as some slapstick around the college professors (although not nearly as amusing a lampooning as the effort turned in by Richard Russo in Straight Man)this review is really just a ringing endorsement for the Brodie books: Case Histories, One Good Turn and When Will there be Good News?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emotionally Weird.