Sophie's Reviews > Monsters

Monsters by Ilsa J. Bick

20011429

OH.MY.GOD... This book was so absolutely amazing that I can't even find the words to describe it.
Through the course of only three books, Ilsa has taken me on a journey I will never forget, and made me fall in love with truly inspiring characters. This book was so intense, so detailed and so carefully written that I was left completely breathless.
I love how Ilsa has made all the characters (who, most of them, we're complete strangers before the EMP blast) connected in so many ways. For example Chris just happens to find Ellie (the little girl Alex was so desperate to save), Tom knows Weller who had met Alex, Tom was with Mellie and she turns out to be Finn's sister. All these small details, connecting all of the characters, building up to the breathtaking finale when all of the main characters come together in Rule.
And the ending... It's killing me! (In a good way). I'm not one to cry over books too often but, boy, I cried like a baby during the last part of the book, The Long Walk, when Chris and Ellie scattered the ashes of their loved ones over the waterfall. I'm not sure what I cried over more; the death of some beloved characters, or the fact that the book (and this stunning series) was coming to a close. And the very last part of the book, with Alex and Simon, had me wanting more! I needed so badly to know whether he picked up that chocolate bar or not, but I also love how Ilsa has allowed the reader to picture the ending in the way they desire it to be.
Thank you Ilsa J. Bick for one of the most beautiful, enthralling, and inspiring series I have ever read. I will never forget this amazing journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters.

May 4, 2013 – Shelved
May 4, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 28, 2013 – Started Reading
December 28, 2013 –
page 102
"I've only just come to terms that Chris is dead... For some reason I thought he was going to magically survive because he played such a big part in Shadows and then all of a sudden poof he's dead."
December 28, 2013 –
page 130
"Yayy!! He's not dead! He's alive!!"
January 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam Hi Sophie, I love your review. I'm currently reading the second in this series and really struggling to like it. You really rave about this series in your reviews and I wanted to ask you if the reason behind the EMP gets revealed in the end? I think if I know that it does, I will keep reading it. Thanks!

Sophie Hi Sam. I can't quite remember as it has been a while since I've read it but honestly, I don't think the reason behind the emp is revealed. However, the story does get quite interesting with the evolving zombies and Alex's journey becomes quite exciting. Personally, I too found myself getting disinterested in parts but I can tell you that I was so glad I finished the series. I definitely thought it was worth it