Breck's Reviews > Jesus the Christ

Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage

Jun 22, 2009

bookshelves: gospel
Read in September, 2009

I read it once before and a couple time on my mission and picked it up again yesterday. Easily one of my favorite books on the gospel/doctrine.

Finished it today. Probably my favorite thing about Jesus The Christ is how comprehensive it is, along with the way scriptures are included in the rest of the text. For me, it's almost like reading the Gospels but in chronological order. Also enjoy Talmage's insights. A Mormon classic in every respect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus the Christ.

Quotes Breck Liked

James E. Talmage
“Our Lord's descent from the holy heights of the Mount of Transfiguration was more than a physical return from greater to lesser altitudes; it was a passing from sunshine into shadow, from the effulgent glory of heaven to the mists of worldly passions and human unbelief; it was the beginning of His rapid descent into the valley of humiliation.”

James E. Talmage
“Christ proclaimed: "I am the good shepherd." He then further showed, and with eloquent exactness, the difference between a shepherd and a hireling herder. The one has personal interest in and love for his flock, and knows each sheep by name, the other knows them only as a flock, the value of which is gaged by number; to the hireling they are only as so many or so much. While the shepherd is ready to fight in defense of his own, and if necessary even imperil his life for his sheep, the hireling flees when the wolf approaches, leaving the way open for the ravening beast to scatter, rend, and kill.”

James E. Talmage
“The world's greatest champion of woman and womanhood is Jesus the Christ.”

07/05/2009 page 200
26.77% "I'm surprised that it is moving much faster than it did when reading it on my mission. So many new insights and inspiring as it was before."
07/07/2009 page 300
40.16% "Rediscovering the parables. Thinking it is one of the best ways of teaching and hope I can incorporate it into my own teaching."
08/03/2009 page 500
66.93% "I was moving faster but slowed a little. Mostly focusing on teachings and days leading up to his crucifiction."

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Denton Ohhh man. Talmage. This was the most densely-written book I've ever read. It took me a really long time. But I was a missionary, so I had two years to do it. Haha.

Breck Hah, yeah, extremely dense. Will be taking it a page at a time. Antedeluvian--my favorite word. "Read it with a dictionary" is what we always said. I had just remembered how much I loved it before. Honestly, though, its always fascinating to go back to the gospel and the scriptures, in particular, after I've spent a while reading other things. I always approach it from a different angle and find new meaning. As if all of my secular learning (philosophy, etc.) leads me to approach it differently. Not sure how to best describe it. Interesting, though.