David's Reviews > The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Nonsmokers Using the Easyway Method

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

I actually didn't finish the book, but I did smoke the last cigarette of my life while reading it, and extinguished it in utter disgust.

The book is written at a third grader's level of reading comprehension, and at times, the arguments seem positively infantile. The text is repetitive, and the author's personal history is repellant and dull. The money argument doesn't really work on me. And yet, and yet. There is some very clever rhetoric in play here, utterly simplistic in its logic, but ultimately compelling. My brain has completely rewired how I think about cigarettes, smoking, and smokers. The only two times I previously semi-successfully quit, I would miss cigarettes, and envy smokers, until I fell back off the wagon. This time, I simply SMH and wonder how I could have been so foolish for so long.

I smoked for most of 17 years, and now I'm free (a better word for quitting, I learned herein), and though I sort of hate to admit it, this book has a lot to do with it. I wish I remember who recommended it to me, but since I don't, I just try to pass it on. I do notice many of my still-smoking friends seem to ignore it, even if it's sitting on their shelf -- so it seems to me that there is definitely a component whereby you need to truly want to give up the poison before this book can work its hypnotic magic on you.

We all make questionable life decisions here and there, I'm glad this one is behind me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

Started Reading