Rivqa's Reviews > Fragments of a Broken Land: Valarl Undead: A Fantasy Novel

Fragments of a Broken Land by Robert Hood

The first clue that this isn't standard fantasy fare is the cover (that's not an elf, or a woman in a ballgown!). The second is the lack of maps and glossaries to help you through.

No, Fragments isn't an 'easy' read in the sense that you will need to think a bit to keep track of the various names and the parallel storylines that run through it, but it's far from impenetrable. The action zips along at a good pace; the ensemble of characters is an engaging mix of personality clashes; and despite the unusual setting and story, there are plenty of tropes (and subversions of them) to keep fantasy fans happy.

Initially, I felt that the complexity of the novel might have lent itself to being spread over a trilogy, but this would have destroyed the pace and thus the feeling of urgency that I shared with the characters. I particularly enjoyed the academic treatment of magic, which made it seem very real.

Unfamiliar as I am with this branch of fantasy, to my mind it's filed between 'The Call of Cthulhu' and The Silmarillion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fragments of a Broken Land.

May 2, 2013 – Shelved