Elizabeth (Liz)'s Reviews > Fading

Fading by E.K. Blair

I know I don’t have the right words for this one. I seem to be able to only spit out random, disjointed thoughts and feelings. It’s like I’m suffering some sort of reviewer’s Tourette’s Syndrome! If I’m lucky, I’ll get out a sentence or two. I cannot, apparently, make my thoughts and feelings coalesce into anything resembling a helpful or informative review, filled with discussion points and critiques. Quite sincerely, as I’m writing this, it’s been over a week since I finished Fading, and I’m still reeling from the impact. I’m running purely on emotion when it comes to this story and these characters. My God. Heartbreaking. Authentic. Intense. Beautiful. Powerful. Romantic. Sexy. Stunningly memorable is the phrase I find myself repeating over and over again when I discuss this book. All of these words are true. They’re all perfectly applicable to describe this story and my experience with it, but they’re also completely inadequate. As soon as I think of or talk about Fading, multiple flawlessly-clear visual images pop into my mind. I can see this story in my head just as strongly as I feel it in my heart.

I truly believe, until you immerse yourself in this story of E.K. Blair’s firsthand, no (half-assed) review I (attempt to) write is going to resonate with you the way that it should. At points, Fading had me so overwhelmed with emotion that I had to stop and take some breaths, walk around for a bit, and hug my cat, for God’s sake!! And that may actually be the highest compliment I can give. I live for reading experiences like this one. Books such as Fading are absolutely and without question the very reason I read. Every aspect of the characters, the story and the setting was so fully fleshed-out and three dimensional, so well-planned and flawlessly delivered. If you can handle a fairly graphic and all too realistic sexual assault and the immediate aftermath, then please, please give this book the time and attention it deserves!

Fading is weighty and substantial, yes. A good portion of it is not an easy read, by any means. But, who says easy is always best? A story like this gives you something to grab onto, something to anchor you even as it wrecks your emotions. And I won’t lie. Parts of it will wreck your emotions.

"I’m finding it hard to hear what they are saying over my crying and heaving breaths. But the whole world stops moving when I hear that unmistakable word. Don’t say that word. I can’t move. I can’t blink. I can’t do anything. This isn’t me. This can’t be me."

"I sit here, on the bottom of the shower, and everything I know about myself, everything I love, everything I am begins to fade."

“I’m fading.” I feel the heat of my tears as they linger down my cheeks. “He took all my light, and I’ve been fading ever since.”

Cradling my face in his hands, he says, “You’re not fading. I won’t let you.”

The physical and psychological pain of Candace’s ordeal was so well balanced with the slow friends-to-lovers of Candace’s and Ryan’s relationship. While they took their time, the love that grew was so deep, strong and intense!! This has to be one of the most beautiful, romantic, inspiring love stories I’ve read in a very long time! I could feel a true connection with these two as individuals, but together? I absolutely adored this couple!! I swear, I experienced this relationship, the desperate highs and lows, right along with them! They made me ugly-cry on more than one occasion, and, frankly, it was worth Every. Single. Tear. You will fall madly in love with Ryan, ladies, trust me. If you don’t, I question whether or not you’re still breathing!

Opening my eyes, I look up at him and ask, “Did you love any of them?”

“No.”

Hesitantly, “Do you love me?”

“I’ve only ever loved you.”

It takes a while, but when I finally feel Ryan’s tense chest relax, he pulls back and looks me in the eyes as he says, “This changes nothing for me. Okay? Nothing. No one will ever love you like I do.”

He pulls back and looks into my eyes and when he does, I see it all. I see it clearly; he loves me, and I know I’m safe.

“What is it, babe?”

Brushing my hand down the side of his face, I give him a part of me that I’ve been holding tightly to. “I love you.”

I know he’s be waiting a long time for me to get here, but I know it’s okay when I look into his clear eyes and see the lines appear at the corners when his smile grows.

“You’ll never know what those words just did to me,”

I’ve not even touched on Jase and Mark. Truthfully, Jase and Mark stole my heart as a couple, and I cannot wait for their story in order to fully experience their love! But…Jase. Wow. I mean…wow! What he went through with Candace, the way he supported her so selflessly and with such purity of love and friendship was beyond beautiful. Everyone deserves a Jase in his or her life.

Fading is very likely to be the best book of 2013 for me! I can’t imagine there could be much that would even come close to touching it. It has everything I long for in a story and things I didn’t even know I was looking for! For whatever it’s worth, Fading has my highest recommendation. Please take the time, make the time, to experience this journey for yourselves. Once you have, I think you’ll find it nearly as impossible as I do to find the words to do it justice. But try, won’t you? For what this story, this author, has given us, we owe at least that much.

5+++ Stars

**ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

For more reviews, please visit Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews or visit us on Facebook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fading.

May 2, 2013 – Shelved
June 11, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
June 15, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 2, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Do you think this is PRN?

Elizabeth (Liz) ★SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Do you think this is PRN?"

Nope. It's NA Contemporary Romance, SB. I've read a few short teasers from the author, and I'm really looking forward to reading it!!

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Great. Thanks Elizabeth!!!!

Elizabeth (Liz) ★SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Great. Thanks Elizabeth!!!!"

You're welcome :-)

message 5: by Lorie (new) - added it

Lorie OMG woman! I just read your review over on the blog. P.H.E.N.O.M.E.N.A.L.

Elizabeth (Liz) Lorie wrote: "OMG woman! I just read your review over on the blog. P.H.E.N.O.M.E.N.A.L."

Thank you so much, Lorie!!! I really appreciate it! This book is outstanding!

Danielle (~Dani~) I may have never given this book a second glance if it wasn't for the wholehearted sincerity
pouring out of your review. Sometimes those are the best- the ones that aren't mapped out and prepared perfectly. (Though, I thought yours WAS perfect!) Only read 2/3 of your review & stopped so I could download the book!

Elizabeth (Liz) Danielle wrote: "I may have never given this book a second glance if it wasn't for the wholehearted sincerity

Oh, I hope you feel it as deeply as I did, Danielle! Thank you!!

Alex is The Romance Fox What a fantastic review...it's got me SO WANTING to read this book.

Elizabeth (Liz) Alex wrote: "What a fantastic review...it's got me SO WANTING to read this book."

Thank you, Alex!! Please do read it, and I hope you get as much from it as I did:)

message 11: by Karla (new)

Karla Well done Elizabeth!

Elizabeth (Liz) Karla wrote: "Well done Elizabeth!"

Thanks, Karla:)

Jennifer Oshiro I was going to write a review but you have said it all. I cried so much.....wonderful story. I'm debating on letting my sixteen year old daughter read this. It was so touching.

Elizabeth (Liz) Jennifer wrote: "I was going to write a review but you have said it all. I cried so much.....wonderful story. I'm debating on letting my sixteen year old daughter read this. It was so touching."

Thank you, Jennifer. I hope you'll still leave a review, even a short one. This book deserves even more attention than it's getting.

Crista I have no idea how you managed to review this incredible book and do it justice...but you did! Awesome book and an awesome review:)
xoxo

Elizabeth (Liz) Crista wrote: "I have no idea how you managed to review this incredible book and do it justice...but you did! Awesome book and an awesome review:)
xoxo"

Awww...you're so sweet. Thank you.

My dear, your review is MAGIC, as usual. You just cannot write a bad review. And E.K. Blair has been quoting a number of our reviews for her promos, yours among them!

Crista Elizabeth (Liz) - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews wrote: "Crista wrote: "I have no idea how you managed to review this incredible book and do it justice...but you did! Awesome book and an awesome review:)
xoxo"

Awww...you're so sweet. Thank you.

My de..."

That is so exciting Elizabeth!! I try to mention this book every chance I get.....it's so nice to be chatting with you again! Mwah!

Elizabeth (Liz) Crista wrote: "Elizabeth (Liz) - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews wrote: "Crista wrote: "I have no idea how you managed to review this incredible book and do it justice...but you did! Awesome book and an awesome revie..."

Mwah back at you!! <3

message 19: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Awesome review, sweet friend!

Elizabeth (Liz) KatLynne wrote: "Awesome review, sweet friend!"

Thank you, KL!! This book is absolutely stunning!

message 21: by Dyndyn (new)

Dyndyn Great review! Is this a part of a series? Cliffy?

Elizabeth (Liz) Dyndyn wrote: "Great review! Is this a part of a series? Cliffy?"

Thanks, Dyndyn:)

This is a series, but there's no cliffhanger. The first book, FADING, is told from
Candace's point of view. FREEING retells part of FADING from Candace's best friend Jase's point of view, and FREEING also tells Jase's story and the love story of him and his partner, Mark. There will be another book, and it will retell FADING from Ryan's point of view. You'll have to read FADING to find out who Ryan is ;-)

E.K. Blair is an amazing storyteller. I'm absolutely in awe of her talent. I hope you'll read this series!!

message 23: by Dyndyn (new)

Dyndyn Sold!!! You've convinced me halfway on your review. Got the book. Excited already. Thank you!

Elizabeth (Liz) Dyndyn wrote: "Sold!!! You've convinced me halfway on your review. Got the book. Excited already. Thank you!"

Wonderful! Let me know what you think:)

Paulina What a fantastic review! I'm feeling everything you said! Definitely this book is a MUST!

Elizabeth (Liz) So glad, Paulina! E.K. is an amazing writer. Thanks :)

message 27: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Bryant Amazing book & review!!!