Ari's Reviews > Champion

Champion by Marie Lu

May 02, 2013

bookshelves: best-of, favorites, dystopia, alternating-pov, by-color-light

Perfect books are just.. perfect! *wiping tears of happiness*

This is one of the best conclusions to a series! The very best.

Seriously! And it felt so ..right, you know?
Not all butterflies and cheers and happiness, but right and real and beautiful and raw.
The action, the suspense, the dramatic romance, the bittersweet ending… every moment and every page, every single word in this book.. EVERYTHING was perfect. I couldn’t have imagined a better ending for this series, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Without emotion, what’s the point of being human?

June and Day’s journey has been filled with so much heartbreak over these 3 books and I sobbed a bit near the ending for all that they’ve been trough, for the injustice of life, for how much they have lost (especially Day because -as I’ve said a million times already- June has had it so much easier than him). But I have hope, there’s a bittersweet taste in their new beginning and I loved those last few pages for giving me some sort of peace of mind, for leaving my heart feeling this light. I also loved the ending for the lack of selfishness, for taking its time such that those souls could heal, for filling me with so many emotions.

I am definitely giving away more than I want to, but for once I don’t care because I’ve been holding my breath the whole time waiting for Day and June to meet again, hoping for them to find a way back together, crying inside for all the things that have put a world of a wall between them, dropping my eyes into my mouth at some mind-blowing turnarounds and crying like a baby when things went terribly wrong. What more do you want from me? How much a heart can take without breaking?

So this is me, falling in love again with a breathtaking series. This is me saying again my goodbyes (and oh, my poor heart! This year will be full of book-goodbyes, I should get used to the heartbreak). This is me telling you once more: Go read this book and then come back to talk about it ;)

Happy midnight reading!

Read this and more at: ReadingAfterMidnight.com
* Also, the images sources can be found on the blog.
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Champion.

Quotes Ari Liked

Marie Lu
“Sometimes, the sun sets earlier. Days don’t last forever, you know. But I’ll fight as hard as I can. I can promise you that.”

Marie Lu
“I’ve been searching a long time for something I think I lost.
I felt like I found something when I saw you back there.”

Marie Lu
“It hurts every day, the absence of someone who was once there.”

May 2, 2013 – Shelved
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: dystopia
December 4, 2013 – Shelved as: alternating-pov
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-light

Jamie You've already read it?!

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari No, it's marked as to-read and those are Marie's words quoted.

Carla (Carla's Book Bits) Ahhh, I've been lusting after this book since it came out, but I have yet to get it. I'm both really glad and really jealous that you liked the ending so much, haha.

message 5: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I loved this book to pieces! It's the absolute perfect ending and I really hope that you'll read it soon and love it just as much ;)

Arlene I loved this book! So glad you enjoyed it too. That's one of my favorite quotes too. Wonderful review Ariana. :)

Andrew (BritBookBoy) Love your thoughts on this book, it really was the perfect end to such a spectacular book. I finished it last night and cannot stop thinking about that ending, heartbreaking in the most beautiful way!

message 8: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Thank you both :)
For me every book in this series was better than the previous one; I fell in love with the characters & the world building and the action was such a sweet addiction, so getting to the last page was really heartbreaking. But what a beautiful ending that was. I am happy to see that I am not the only one feeling this way!

Andrew (BritBookBoy) Agreed on all counts there Ariana! The series just got so much better in every book, such an achievement considering most sophomore books tend to be filler and I often find conclusions leave me unsatisfied in one way or another but Lu just got it so, so right. I really hope the film adaption gets made so I can see all the crazy action on the big screen! Do you plan on reading her next series, The Young Elites? I cannot wait to get my hands on that!

message 10: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari It's funny because the first time I heard about Legend, it was about it being made into a movie.. And after all this time there's still no news about that *sigh* I would love to see it on the big screen, even though on most cases I am disappointed by the adaptation.

As for The Young Elites, I can't wait to read it. I trust Marie Lu with my heart here and I am sure I will enjoy that story. I would have loved to read more from 'The Glass Sonata' as well (which is -if you don't already know- the origin of Legend of sorts, in fact of Day) - at first sight, it seems to me like a mix between Legend and The Young Elites in terms of world building, but maybe I am wrong ;))

Andrew (BritBookBoy) You know, I'd never even heard about The Glass Sonata, thanks so much for the heads up :) A quick search on google and I have to agree with you, it definitely sounds like a mix of Legend and The Young Elites. I even found an ebook of it for purchase on Lulu.com, I think that may just find its way onto my iPad!

Having seen the things Lu has posted on Twitter and the images on her Pinterest, the ideas behind The Young Elites look fantastic.

She keeps mentioning CBS films in the acknowledgements for every book so I'm optimistic (however delusional that makes me!) that if their relationship is still on going, one day it might find it's way to the movies. Though, like you, I'm often disappointed by the majority of film adaptions so I just pray that the right people take on the story. There's such awesome potential there!

message 12: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I read 2 excerpts from The Glass Sonata in "Legend - Collector's Edition", I didn't know there were plans to release it to the public though (?). Marie Lu was not completely satisfied with it, but Day was born from that story and I am grateful for that.

I follow the 'The Young Elites' board from Pinterest too, I try to keep my expectations in check but I am really excited by all that potential (Also.. X-Men meets Assassin's Creed 2 meets Game of Thrones, all this with a dose of fantasy? It sounds crazy, but I'm totally sold).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the movie to come to life ( ~ for them to pick good actors that can play & for them to make justice to the story). At this point I am crazy excited for 3 movies (hopefully) soon-to-be-made: Legend, Daughter of Smoke & Bone AND Jellicoe Road. If I don't like them I think I'm gonna cry a bit, LOL.

Andrew (BritBookBoy) I actually bought it and on the first page there is an explanation! Apparently a fan had been reading the excerpts Marie Lu posted and wanted to see how the story ended, so he asked for permission to put together a copy for publication and Lu (being the graciously awesome author she is!) agreed :) I'm excited to see the formation of Day's character before he popped up in Legend!

I try to keep my expectations in check, but after reading Champion and seeing all those pictures I'm definitely finding that an arduous task! Especially as X-men, Assassin's Creed 2 and Game of Thrones are all marvellous entities in their own right - surely a mix of this, as crazy as it does sound can only end up being something awesome!

I wasn't aware they were making plans for a Daughter of Smoke & Bone film! It's a book that has been sat on my shelf just waiting to be read, I think knowing that now has jumped it to the head of the line. There is honestly nothing worse than a bad adaption. Did you ever see The Host or Beautiful Creatures movies? Wow, they were just terrible lol. I saw Catching Fire last night though and that completely blew my mind, definitely one story that has been masterfully adapted!

Kristalia Ah Ari, how do you write such wonderful reviews? *cries*

But this book = mindblowing ♥

message 15: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Thanks, Kristalia, it's all in these beautiful books I read sometimes ;))

@ Andrew:
I might check it too (the Sonata I mean), I liked those 2 chapters from the excerpts :)
Daughter of Smoke & Bone is a favourite of mine, I loved even more the second book and now can't wait to see who the story ends. In good hands it would make an awesome adaptation as the world building is quite fabulous (I also think it will be made by the producers of 'Alice in Wonderland' & 'Oz' -don't shoot me if I'm wrong- so I am a bit excited here).

I've seen The Host, but I wasn't disappointed as I was bracing myself for low quality - I enjoyed some favourite moments and witnessed how the characters were stripped of emotions and personality, but oh well... Didn't expect too much.
I didn't see Beautiful Creatures as even the trailer left me with a 'meh' feeling and I simply couldn't make myself watch it in full..
BUT... I will see Catching Fire next week, I can't wait for it and now that you say that it was that good I am doing a bit of a happy dance ;))

I searched for some news about Legend - nothing quite new, but I hope for the best.

message 16: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Fabulous review! It's not often that you end up loving all three books in a series. So glad this ended so perfectly!! You are very talented in your artwork! Cannot wait to read more by this author.

message 17: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yes, that's true, not many series got to keep my attention through all books. But I loved this one even more each time.
These 2 images are not actually mine, the original artworks are linked from the blog, but I love them just as much ;)

Sydney Taylor I completely love that first picture you have! This book and "UnDivided" are the best ending books to a series I have ever read!

message 19: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yes, they are.. I really loved both series and their endings :D

Sydney Taylor They are my two favorite series!

message 21: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Mine too! Though I did enjoy a couple of other series just as much :D

message 22: by Sami (new) - added it

Sami IT WAS SO CUTE AND AMAZING AND AWESOME IT WRECKED ME WHEN THEY HAD TO SEPERATE

message 23: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I know, I was an emotional wreck too (though more in a scene before that one even). I loved this book, this series, I will probably re-re-read it soon :))