Ruth Silver's Reviews > Icons

Icons by Margaret Stohl

it was ok

I wanted so much to love Icons. The cover looks amazing, I really enjoyed Margaret Stohl's Beautiful Creatures (though quite bluntly was less impressed with the second book in the series) and this is how I felt about Icons, not impressed. There were a lot of flaws with the story, specifically about these Lords. I can understand the point - we're being oppressed and there's not much one can do about it with these giant Icons enslaving us - but I have trouble with the lack of emotion I felt in knowing it. There was nothing that made me care about the world they lived in or the characters. I just couldn't connect with the story.

The pacing often didn't move fast enough and I couldn't understand quite a lot of the characters motivations for doing what they're doing. I was ready to put the book down at several points but I'd made up my mind I wanted to read the end. Some books get better as you delve more into their world (Under the Never Sky).
Icons had a brief moment near the end where the story moved forward but it felt much too late and even with the slightest twists and turns, it wasn't enough to make me recommend this novel. I love a good sci-fi book. I'm all for aliens, dystopian and even some romance but Icons didn't live up to my expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Icons.

May 2, 2013 – Shelved
May 21, 2013 –
May 22, 2013 –
May 23, 2013 –
May 24, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers) Hey, I'm reading this too! :) I just started like 5 mins ago, So your way ahead of me. How are you liking this so far?

message 2: by Alicia (last edited May 24, 2013 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers) Errr. I'm about halfway through this one and I feel the same as you, & it's driving me crazy! I'm committed to seeing it to the end, but it's getting SO HARD to read these pages!!! Nothing, absolutely nothing has happened up to the 48% mark. I mean yeah they got kidnapped and all that but really their has been no action, no plot, no world building, & no romance! Sorry I just HAD to vent to someone about this book, & I know your always up to listen! :) I will finish this book b/c I really don't like to start a book and not finish it, & this was a HIGHLY Instantiated book for me, & I guess I still have a little hope for it! But finishing this at the rate it's going will be a BIG struggle!!!