Jaime Arkin's Reviews > The Rules for Breaking

The Rules for Breaking by Ashley Elston

First of all, I have to say that this was one of my most anticipated titles in 2014 and I’m so lucky to have gotten my hands on a copy. I grabbed The Rules for Disappearing last year on a whim, not realizing that I was going to absolutely love it … and I did. I was so pleasantly surprised by how much. The plot is completely original, there aren’t many (if any at all) stories that have to do with teens and Witness Protection and the characters are just wonderfully layered and complicated.

All that said, I had very high expectations for The Rules For Breaking.

And this book met every single one.

This book picks up shortly after the end of book 1 – Anna is no longer in Witness Protection and she’s trying to make her life as normal as possible. Her mom is in rehab now, and her family is on it’s way back to some form of ordinary. But suddenly everything crashes around her. The return of her journal seeming to be the trigger, but where did it come from and how did it get in her possession?

Suddenly, her and Ethan’s families are in danger and Anna doesn’t know what to do. Thinking isolation is the key, the two families head off to some private land and that’s where the real action begins.

The game Anna has to play has become even more dangerous than it was before and now she has Ethan and her younger sister to worry about as well. Elston does an amazing job of building the suspense in this final book… like Anna, I never knew who she could trust and at times when I thought I had everything figured out, something would twist and turn and everything would change.

And once again, the characters are wonderfully done. We know quite a bit about Anna from our previous books, but we get to know her even better. Her tenacity, her determination, and her love of her family and friends is apparent throughout and it makes her one of my favorite characters. Then there’s Ethan. Just as wonderful as he was in book 1, he’s there for Anna throughout and determined to get them out of the mess they are in.

But then there is Thomas… or the man we know as Thomas. He’s wonderfully evil with no conscience at all for the life he lives … which I suppose makes his job and life easier. I never was sure about him and where he actually stood, especially with the way book 1 ends, but you definitely find out his story and motivations in this book.

I can’t tell you much more about the story without ruining some of the suspense, so I’m going to leave you here and tell you that this is a must read.

Elston delivers a book filled with action and suspense, characters you will adore, a wonderfully paced story and even a few swoons along the way. If you haven’t started this series, definitely consider picking it up soon. You’ll see why I’ve placed this among my favorites!

I’ll definitely be looking forward to more from Elston in the future.

Thank you to Disney Hyperion for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest thoughts!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rules for Breaking.

May 2, 2013 – Shelved
March 5, 2014 – Shelved as: swoony-boys
March 5, 2014 – Finished Reading
March 8, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2014
September 28, 2014 – Shelved as: on-my-real-shelves

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki It is complete right???

Jaime Arkin Nikki wrote: "It is complete right???"

Lol yes it is!! And so so good!!

message 3: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em though not many this is not the only one about a teen in witness protection. Fake ID is another I came across and it was complete different spin and take on it. But still awesome. Most you come across are good because it is a rarely used story line.

Jaime Arkin Em wrote: "though not many this is not the only one about a teen in witness protection. Fake ID is another I came across and it was complete different spin and take on it. But still awesome. Most you come acr..."

Ohhhh thanks for the heads up!! I will def check that one out!!