Amanda Shalaby's Reviews > Blame It On The Brontes

Blame It On The Brontes by Becky Lower

bookshelves: boomer-lit

As a huge fan of Ms. Lower’s American historical Cotillion Ball Series novels, I was eager to read her first contemporary story. Not surprisingly, I loved it, as I have loved all her books prior to this one. Ms. Lower has proven her talent for creating vivid settings and complex characters over and over - and this tale of sibling rivalry, as well as of both long-lost and new loves is exactly what I have come to expect from this gifted author. Set in the small Maine town of Puffin Bay, three drastically different sisters – Charlotte, Emily & Anne Bronson – are brought together by the terms of their mother’s will after years apart and a falling out between two of the three girls. Written in three parts, from each of the sister’s perspectives, the novel follows the Bronson girls as they find peace, forgiveness and love. Each section serves to bring the individual sisters’ personalities alive. The reader obtains such a deep, intimate knowledge of each of them, that despite some very real nastiness between them early on, you cannot help but root for each to find happiness in the end. Not to mention, Ms. Lower has a way of placing the reader right in the middle of Puffin Bay with the long-time residents of this ocean side town – so much so that you can smell the fresh lobster and sea air. I literally felt like I took a trip to Maine reading this novel! A fabulous book about the importance of family and second chances – recommended without hesitation to anyone looking for a story with substance from an author who knows what her readers want!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blame It On The Brontes.

May 1, 2013 – Started Reading
May 1, 2013 – Shelved
May 1, 2013 –
page 58
25.55% "A work of art - just as I expected..."
May 1, 2013 –