Richard's Reviews > Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter

Richard Stark's Parker by Darwyn Cooke

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-13, graphic-novels

Back in the day, the "take no prisoners" tough guy pulp was a staple. Super macho gifters, thieves, and assassins who kissed - and killed - equally amoral dames while barrelling toward a bloody and pointless revenge of some sort.

This type of novel has fallen out of favor in our more PC times.(Actually, as popular as they once were, these stories were always the kind of disreputable paperbacks you might find lying around a gas station somewhere - and that, of course, was part of their appeal.) But for some people, their noir charms are timeless.

The thing is, and I would never disparage another reader's taste in "trash," this is not a flavor that I personally enjoy.

Darwyn Cooke's art is gorgeous and perfectly suited to the source material by Richard Stark (aka Donald Westlake). I've never read the original novel, but I think this is probably a very faithful adaptation. It's smart, very violent, and kind of funny.

The issue here isn't quality, it's my personal taste. The Hunter just is not my bag.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Richard Stark's Parker.

Finished Reading