Jeff Stockett's Reviews > The Eye of Moloch

The Eye of Moloch by Glenn Beck

Apr 30, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

As with Glenn Beck's other fiction books there are two ways of viewing The Eye of Moloch.

One way is simply that it is fiction, the other is, as Glenn calls it "faction".

First from the fiction perspective, it is a fast paced thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's essentially set in the present, but in a somewhat dystopian view of the present. The government has eyes and ears everywhere. Evil men run a shadow government that controls everything. We see the mighty clash of ideologies with libertarian freedom on the one side and Utopian government control on the other.

This book is fun and, at times, terrifying. The character, Molly Ross says, "It’s not their own secrets they’re so interested in keeping anymore. It’s your secrets they want." Elsewhere the book says, "The sole thing tyranny fears is truth". Those 2 quotes sum up the plot of this book. The government wants all the secrets, but someone needs to tell the truth before it's too late.

Within the fiction perspective, I do have the same concern with this book that I did with The Overton Window, and that is that the characters did not feel real. They were either pure evil or selfless ideologues, seeking for the betterment of humanity at any cost to themselves. I did appreciate that the character of Noah Gardner was a bit more nuanced this time around, his journey as he learns more about the Founder's Keepers and their cause to bring better knowledge about freedom and the founding of our nation was interesting and enjoyable to follow.

How about from the "faction" perspective? Well, there were definitely some issues there. There's a lot of good stuff too, but I'll cover the issues first.

The biggest issue was from a technological perspective. It kept going into how our phones and computers are monitoring us at every moment, that the government sees and hears everything around our phone even if it is turned off. I kept thinking about things like bandwidth and battery life. If my iphone was broadcasting everything I was saying, it would take a lot of bandwidth. My data plan would go through the roof. Of course, AT&T could choose to not make me pay for the surveillance data, but would they really allow that much bandwidth to be taken up with no compensation?

My iphone's battery would run out pretty fast if it was constantly uploading surveillance. Would Apple really allow the government to make their devices perform at a fraction of their ability just so they could watch us?

I guess my point is that it is possible for technology to do the things that were claimed in this book. But it would require a lot of companies to give up a lot of money to allow the government to spy on us and that just isn't believable.

The "faction" aspect wasn't all bad. This book goes into the legislation that allows American citizens to be detained without trial if they are suspected of terrorism. That's an issue that was glazed over by much of the media. The book is also littered with little tid-bits and factoids that are more verifiable than the data issue mentioned above.

All in all, it's an enjoyable book. It's about an epic battle between good and evil, it's about freedom versus serfdom and it's about normal people fighting scary, faceless government. The "faction" aspect feels a little over the top, but if you can suspend your disbelief it's a fun ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of Moloch.

April 30, 2013 – Shelved