Anushka's Reviews > Monsters of Men

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

bookshelves: sci-fi-dystopia, i-own, favorites, i-cried, liked-it, re-readable, them-feels
Recommended for: Just read it already!
Read 2 times. Last read June 24, 2013 to June 25, 2013.

Also find this review on Don't Stop Readin'

OH. MY. GOD.

I-
CAN’T-
EVEN-

Page 572
It will always haunt me.
I will never be able to forget it.
It was when I started crying hysterically until my throat started aching.

There are not enough adjectives in the dictionary to sing praises of this series. I am simply tongue-tied by the brilliance of this trilogy, the depth of the topics explored via the characters in this book.
I really cannot write a proper review, I just can’t. I am so severely shocked and utterly awestruck, it is as if someone has pulled a rug right from under me.

I feel like I am a part of an elite club after reading this masterpiece and I feel bad for the people who haven’t read this yet. I genuinely do. This trilogy is not just some sheepish young-adult fantasy thrown together; it is so much different, so much beyond it. Every character is so strong and of significance, that you cannot help but admire Ness's imagination.

The predicament, whether we’re on the wrong side or right side in a war is a main theme of this book too. Like I said in my review of The Ask and the Answer, Patrick Ness is the one with power here. He can manipulate his readers just like Mayor Prentiss was able to manipulate Todd.
When all the ugly faces of war are presented, you cannot decide on whose side you’d want to be because he shows that there is no side with best intentions, you can never completely agree with one person’s idea of winning it.

These books should not be categorised as middle-grade/ya books, even adults should read them. It is an excellent, thought-provoking series recommended to all, although I agree with others that 3rd book did not follow the path 2nd and 1st books went on, it still was a moving read and extremely deserving to be the closing chapter of this immensely emotional and powerful ride.

On Page 402 there is a line -

“ And I wait for a long minute.
And I don’t know what to say.
And I don’t know what to do. "

That is exactly how I feel right now.
Throughout the book there are at least a dozen plot twists but it is the ending that entirely makes you fall in love with Monsters of Men. It is so unbelievable that you will have to read the same line over and over again with teary eyes to fully grasp what's happening.

PATRICK NESS.
I bow to thee.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of Men.

Finished Reading
April 30, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
April 30, 2013 – Shelved
May 17, 2013 – Shelved as: sci-fi-dystopia
June 24, 2013 – Started Reading
June 24, 2013 –
0.0% "I just received my book!!! I CANNOT WAIT TO READ THIS!\n Lets get this war started."
June 24, 2013 – Shelved as: i-own
June 24, 2013 –
page 203
33.67% "Eveytime Mistress Coyle says 'my girl', I feel like whacking her on the head."
June 25, 2013 –
page 277
45.94% "I have not even read half of the book yet there have been a dozen twists already!\n Patrick Ness, you do know your audience. *bows*"
June 25, 2013 –
page 427
70.81% " Holymotherofgodwhathehelljusthappened?? :O :O :O "
June 25, 2013 – Shelved as: re-readable
June 25, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
June 25, 2013 – Shelved as: i-cried
June 25, 2013 – Shelved as: liked-it
June 25, 2013 – Shelved as: them-feels
June 25, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Varsha (new)

Varsha How is it?

Anushka I've read only 2 pages till now but I just know that this is going to be awesome!

Kristalia Hahahaha, i bow to him too :D
this trilogy was awesome <3 <3333
great review~!

Anushka He is AMAZING!!

And, thank you. :)

message 5: by Basuhi (new)

Basuhi Brilliant review Anushka !
And it looks like an awesome book to get gushing out like that ;))

Anushka Thank you! :D

Yes, this trilogy was just fantastic! It had everything that all YA books lack nowadays.

message 7: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Anushka, you read WAYYYY too fast! Andddd I really need to start this...So many books to read, so little time! :/

Anushka I get that a lot! :P
Yes, Jess..this one you have to read! :D

Peter Can someone please tell me what happens on p572? I've got an ebook version, and the page numbers vary according to the font size I choose.

Natasha *Spoilers*
Page 572 is the page where Todd 'dies'

Peter Oh, that, thanks.