preppea's Reviews > Hopeless

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Apr 29, 2013

bookshelves: zz-netgalley, new-adult, romance, contemporary, dark, ugly-cry, zz-reviewed, zz-i-love-this, mature-ya

Every so often I come across that perfect book that exemplifies why I read in the first place. Books that suck me in and I am so deeply entranced that I can’t hear, see, or feel anything going on around me – I am simply transported into the book and immersed in a world created by the author. HOPELESS is one of those books for me.

HOPELESS is the perfect combination of passionate love story and heartrending life events. It had me laughing out loud so hard I howled – then a few chapters later it had tears streaming down my face. It had so many amazing quotes that I highlighted almost an entire book worth of my favorites. And Sky and Holder’s first kiss – where they never even kissed??? Most. Passionate. Book. Experience. Ever. And they didn’t even KISS! There are simply not enough words for how amazing Colleen Hoover’s writing is – every book I’ve read by her has taken so much, but given even more.

I loved Sky – she was sassy and independent and vulnerable. I understood her emotions and felt them like they were my own. And Holder? I don’t know if there are words to describe the perfection that was Holder. Even the smaller characters like Six and Brecken were funny and witty and perfect compliments to the story.

This book broke my heart – but more importantly it made me fall in love. It was passionate and painful and beautiful and so incredibly written I’m thankful I got to read it. Thank you Colleen Hoover for digging so deep and giving us this piece of magic.

Despite what this may look like, I am not a slut. Unless, of course, the definition of slut is based on the fact that I make out with lots of people, regardless of my lack of attraction to them. In that case, one might have grounds for debate.

He turns around to tend to the pasta like he didn’t just ruin me for any other guy for the rest of my life.

If words could break souls, my words just broke his in two. His face drops and tears fill his eyes. I know what I’m asking him to do and I hate that I’m asking him for this, but I need it. I need to do whatever I can to minimize the pain and the hatred in me.

And while I could sit here and feel sorry for myself, wondering why all of this happened to me…I’m not going to do it. I’m not going to wish for a perfect life. The things that knock you down in life are tests, forcing you to make a choice between giving in and remaining on the ground or wiping the dirt off and standing up even taller than you did before you were knocked down. I’m choosing to stand up taller.

**Copy provided by the author/publisher for an honest review.

**Reviewed by preppea on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hopeless.

April 29, 2013 – Shelved
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read-for-review
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: zz-netgalley
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: new-adult
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: romance
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 2, 2013 – Started Reading
May 2, 2013 –
32.0% "Sitting by my kid in bed b/c he can't nap - having quiet time. Then I get to this point in my book where Holder says something so funny, I cackle - literally bust out with a loud cackle. I don't think he's going to be napping now... But it was just that funny."
May 3, 2013 – Shelved as: zz-i-love-this