Michãel 's Reviews > Taking the Path of Zen

Taking the Path of Zen by Robert Aitken

it was ok
bookshelves: religion-philosophy

Fairly good description of the basics of meditation. Didn't realize there'd be so many different ways to focus on the breath. Explanations for the philosophy and precepts, not so good. And these sentences pushed my buttons: "He [the Buddha:] did not live in a time like ours, when dangerous competition between nations threatens to blow up the world. He was not faced with the probability of biological holocaust. He did not encounter the righteous imperatives of a feminist movement." What the hell? Did he really just equate feminism with nuclear and biological holocaust? Or am I being too "sensitive"?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking the Path of Zen.

June 19, 2009 – Shelved
June 19, 2009 – Shelved as: religion-philosophy
Started Reading
July 21, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Juho (new) - added it

Juho Palmroos Baker was a founding member of the Buddhist Peace Fellowship, and one of their statements of purpose is, and I quote, "to raise peace, environmental, feminist, and social justice concerns among North American Buddhists". So I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

Sunny Az In the context of the book as a whole, it's much more clear. In that paragraph, he was talking about the application of Buddhist ethics to the issues that confront humanity in our time, the emancipation of women being one of them. He wasn't comparing the genocide of our species to feminism.

message 3: by Sunera (new)

Sunera you're being way to sensitive. take some xanax