Beverley's Reviews > The Martian

The Martian by Andy Weir

If The Martian isn't a million dollar blockbuster in the next 5 years, Hollywood have missed a treat. I read the entire thing in one sitting, making it probably the best way to pass 8 hours that I can think of. Maybe it helps that I came to the book with no expectations, except the hope that I might get my next 'fix' for my inner space geek.

Well, what a fix! The story is a fast-paced, compelling adventure across Mars and offered everything I wanted and more. I was behind Mark Watney the whole way, from the moment he wakes up alone with his crew gone, to his eventual rescue attempt. It helps that Mark is a great character with a hilarious internal dialogue, I warmed to him quickly and found myself rooting for him as I turned the pages.

Yes, this book is sciency, but it needed to be. That's what makes it feel so authentic. It's the kind of book I'd like my future children to read, to help them understand the importance of science. It offers a perfect demonstration of how something seemingly dry and theoretical can have practical applications, and even save your life.

This book isn't for everyone, there are no little green people roaming the surface of Mars or any Roland Emmerich style hi-jinx, so leave your fantasy head at home. But if you like your sci-fi realistic and plausible then you're in for a real treat.

I'm not in the habit of giving 5 star reviews out often, The Martian really is something special.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian.

April 29, 2013 – Started Reading
April 30, 2013 – Shelved as: fresh-and-orginal
April 30, 2013 – Shelved as: set-in-the-future
April 30, 2013 – Shelved as: would-read-again
April 30, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

message 1: by Charles (new)

Charles Gainey Who has 8 hrs straight to read?!?

Beverley Me on holiday!

Heather I started it on Sunday and finished it yesterday, absolutely loved it! Now the big question is what to read next that can come somewhere close to as entertaining ...

Janet Furnee Ditto. Could not put it down. This is movie material.

Htb2050 I just hope they make a good movie out of it and don't ruin it. The movie that has a little similar setting to this book is "The Moon". That was very well made.

Matthew Calder I am not an big reader...for me finishing a book over 350 pages could take a while. Read it in about a week. Fantastic book. Like Heather...I now have to find another book that can come as close to entertaining.

Johnny read in 3 days. great read. maybe could have used an epilogue

Justin Walton I agree. Best book I have read in quite a long time. I can't really think of one that tops it. If you like suspense. And science. This is the one for you. Like everyone else. I have been trying like heck to find something that even comes close to read next. Any suggestions for something with similar style? Can't wait for Andy Weir's next book.

Htb2050 Justin, the one similar to it is probably the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley.

Russell I'd actually rather it be an HBO miniseries, 8-13 episodes. I'd like them to actually get some of the detail of the book into it.

message 11: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Ross Desperately wanted an epilogue. I just didn't want this book to end. Really interesting read.

Manolis Papadopoulos I just hope they won't fuck it up... This book was amazing!

Carol (Bookaria) I also hope they make a movie, really enjoyed this one.

message 14: by Charles (new)

Charles Gainey Rumor has it that Matt Damon is set to star and Ridley Scott may direct the movie version.

Timothy Dalton Charles wrote: "Who has 8 hrs straight to read?!?"

Occasionally on a slow Sunday it is possible, but when it comest to audiobooks it's extremely easy. I started it a few hours ago. I'm almost at the halfway point of the book. And to sweeten the deal, this book is simply fantastic.

message 16: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn Morgan I absolutely could not put this book down, was completely riveted. I too really got his character and was desperate for his survival. I think it would make a great film as long as they stick to the story - can't wait for his next book

message 17: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Good review - agree with you all the way! Loved the science, yep, I thought that about recommending to kids.. I have indeed recommended it to my 15 yr old as he's really into science.

Here's a weird accolade - this is the only book I've ever read on a stag do (and I've been to over 15 of them..).

Ayhoo, good review.

message 18: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Herzig I haven't read a book since for fun since...well never, but recently finding audible (an amazon service) I picked my first book and ooh boy...what a treat.

This is by fair the most invested in a single character/story/plot I have ever been involved in.

This is coming from a movie buff and avid TV fan.

Please read or listen to this absolute work of art.

Allen @beverly, as it turns out, a movie is in the works. Matt Damon to star in it and Ridley Scott is attached to the project. The Martian

Timothy Dalton Allen wrote: "@beverly, as it turns out, a movie is in the works. Matt Damon to star in it and Ridley Scott is attached to the project. The Martian

Oh.....no......Not Damon!

Kandi "...children to read, to help them understand the importance of science." So much THIS! I've passed it on to my grandson's because I think these types of stories allow kids to dream. I loved this book, too - not sure if I'm too stoked about a movie version tho...

message 22: by JJ (new) - added it

JJ Couldn't agree more and I read it in one sitting as well. Also just heard it will soon be a movie. I have mixed feelings on that as rarely have I liked a movie based on a book I loved. We shall see.

message 23: by Erik (new)

Erik Paterson Not every book should be a Hollywood blockbuster, it usually spoils the book. But hey, it could be decent

message 24: by Erik (new)

Erik Paterson Okay, spoke too soon. Kristin Wiig? Could be interesting

David Took me two days, but ONLY because "real life" got in the way. Greeeeaaatttt read.

Denis Barbov It is going to be next year. Release date is November 25 2015

Jappeth Ben it will be a blockbuster this year dont worry.. ridley scott will direct it and matt damon will be the lead.. so im pretty much excited!

Porter Luke Sean Bean is in it too!

Jacque "It's the kind of book I'd like my future children to read, to help them understand the importance of science. It offers a perfect demonstration of how something seemingly dry and theoretical can have practical applications, and even save your life."

I am an artsy person and I agree -- I am thankful to share a planet with those who excel in science.

Bonnie I really loved this book. It's seldom one actually enjoys being continually surpassed in intelligence, but I loved every page. I think Hollywood would totally screw it up. They would have to make something happen and it would be an impossible fact less event ....but maybe....

Peter Conway Why do you want to ruin this fantastic book with a movie?

message 32: by Jam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jam I don't see how a movie would ruin the book. They're separate things. Besides, the movie they're making actually looks pretty good.

Htb2050 @jamtots. yeah. I always try to read the book first and just watch the movie later so that even when its bad the experience of the story isn't ruined.

Jessica I'm sure you're aware - they are making it a movie with Matt Damon?

Jessica I'm sure you're aware - they are making it a movie with Matt Damon?

Htb2050 @jessica. yeah. I know. From the trailer it looks like its going to be an amazing movie.

Sandy Bergeson The interview with MAtt Damon is how I heard about the book. Am reading now.

Jaylan It only took one year for official news of a movie!