Leftbanker's Reviews > The Border Trilogy: All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain

The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy

Sep 10, 2007

bookshelves: novels

I'm really starring up the place. I give the series five stars just because if I ever met McCarthy and he called me on giving him less than five stars I'd be afraid he'd beat me to death with a branding iron or cave my head in with a rusty shovel.

I love these books as a whole but mostly All the Pretty Horses and the opening chapter of The Crossing. Back when I was a twenty something punk, friends and I used to ride our motorcycles around this part of Texas and I made many forays into Mexico—call it All the Pretty Kawasakis. I love his heavy use of Spanish, untranslated and unapologetic. I love his sparse but accurate description of the landscape.

I recently read Spanish translations of these books which were really well done. I doubt he translates well into Polish or Russian, however. I love his style but I would hate to see a generation of hacks trying to imitate McCarthy’s disregard for convention. With lesser writers it just comes across as quasi-literacy or affected and tiresome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Border Trilogy.