Doug Bradshaw's Reviews > The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill: Visions of Glory 1874-1932

The Last Lion by William Manchester

I read this in short segments over several months and like other biographies I've read, it was a real eye opener for me. I wanted to find that there was brilliant planning and execution. But like so many things in history, huge decisions are grey instead of black or white, based on gut instinct instead of tremendous intel. I'm going to wait for a while to pick up the follow up book. I need something light now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Lion.

April 29, 2013 – Started Reading
April 29, 2013 – Shelved
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 17, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Brenda Cregor Oh, I am SO adding this to my MUST-Read list!

Doug Bradshaw It's excellent and a lot of surprising information about him. I'm such a newbie when it comes to history.

Doug Bradshaw By the way, Bre. Got Gwyneth's recipe book and looking forward to being strict about it for a month or two. I'll let you know. Looks great.

Michael That takes quite a commitment to read something so massive and richly detailed. Covers some dark days for England, so I hope you fight something lighter to you satisfaction. Manchester was a great writer and was a prof at my college, so it was great that another writer finished the Churchhill story during the war years.