Julie Valerie's Reviews > The Lost Husband

The Lost Husband by Katherine Center

What a great, curl up under a blanket with a warm cup of tea this read was! Aunt Jean’s goat farm is the setting for this heartwarming tale of a young widow and her struggles to reclaim her life after the loss of her husband, Danny.

Libby, the mother of two adorable little kids, a son, Theodore, a.k.a. Tank, and a little girl, Abby, heads to Aunt Jean’s goat farm on Broken Tree Road in Atwater, Texas for what turns out to be a time for realigning what is important and examining what has been lost and ultimately, what has been found.

Aunt Jean is a very memorable character that gives sound, quirky advice to Libby in small doses – just enough and only when necessary. I enjoyed watching the character development of both Libby and Aunt Jean as changes in their relationship with one another unfold in surprising ways throughout the story. Aunt Jean is a loving guide and creative spirit that brings joy to the lives of Libby’s children and readers will thoroughly enjoy watching her interact with Libby’s kids.

Libby’s daughter, Abby, has her own interesting backstory and must face a bully at school in what promises to be a heart-wrenching experience for the reader. Likewise, the love interest in Katherine Pannill Center’s book is refreshing in its flawed and tragic circumstances. There’s no spoilers in this book review on either of those story lines. You’ll have to read the book to find out what happens.

In an interesting parallel to Libby’s need to reinvent herself is a character in the novel named Sunshine, who is hiding out in Atwater after blowing herself up in the tabloids Lindsay-Lohan-style during her once famous life. Sunshine offers to help Libby connect with her husband on the other side in the one teeny tiny thing I’d change about the novel. I wished for a different conclusion in that storyline because it held so much promise – but sort of fell flat. On the other hand, the conclusion to ‘that certain house’ (readers will know what I’m talking about) is super cool.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Lost Husband by Katherine Pannill Center and recommend it to readers who love what I call ‘a cozy great book’.

Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. To read the complete book review, visit my book blog at julievalerie.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Husband.

April 29, 2013 – Shelved
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 8, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 24, 2013 – Started Reading
May 31, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Hailey Fish I wrote a review for this book but lost it so have to write it over again. Your review of The Lost Husband is stunning! I never know what to write, when I do, I feel like I'm writing the same things over and over. I'm currently reading "The Bright Side of Disaster" and it's just as good!

Julie Valerie Thanks so much for commenting on my book review, Hailey! So glad you enjoyed it. I'm going now to check-out "The Bright Side of Disaster." Such an intriguing title. :)

Cheers!

Julie Valerie Oh, wait. I just checked - that book is on my "Want to Read" shelf. Huh! I should check that out. :)

Hailey Fish It's a terrific read!