C.G. Drews's Reviews > Insomnia

Insomnia by J.R. Johansson

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal, 4-star, read-2013, ya-male-narrators

To put it simply: INSOMNIA is creepy and delicious (emphasis on the creepy). If the cover isn’t enough to make a bookworm’s heart beat, the storyline will keep you up late into the night. (It’s called insomnia, after all.)

I’ve had this book marked on my To-Read shelf on Goodreads for a looooong time. I watched the pre-release build up! I counted down the days!! And then finally, finally, I had my hands on the creeptastic cover and could devour it. I found it a fairly quick read, though it IS 330 pages. The writing is smooth, though a little wordy at times. The book kept “summing up”, which drives me nuts as a reader. I just wanted to know WHAT COMES NEXT. (Heh…hehe, points to the author.)

Characters are my favourite part of a book. I ask a lot from characters (and tend to pout if they don’t deliver). INSOMNIA’s characters teetered on the cliffs of Yawn and Laugh, which is an interesting combination. The narrator, Parker Chipp, is a “Watcher”, which means he never (never ever, ever) sleeps, but instead cruises the dreams of others. Exhausting? Yes. Zero sleep can kill a person, as he’s finding out. He had a good voice and definite layers as a character – but his humour felt flat. His best bud, Finn, is hilarious! So while Finn dropped some crazy lines that made me grin, Parker almost always let the joke die. Flat. ARGH. I love humour, and the potential was there – but dead.

Mia is the answer to Parker’s dreams (literally). He can finally “sleep” if he watches her dreams, which turns him into a stalker and her into a girl who freaks out on every second page. Addie is Finn’s sister, and (as I figured 1/3 through) Parker has a secret half-crush on her. Addie was spunky and sweet, and Mia was tough and sad. They still deflected Finn’s jokes to the point of making him sound lame (so sad).

(view spoiler)

What the characters lack, the plot twists make up for.The plot is tight and the twists caught me off guard. I thought I’d figured out who the “stalker” was, but noooo. Totally wrong. That saying, I was a bit disappointed at the ending. I loved the climax, woah, I was gripping that book for dear life. But the end twist felt just a tiny, tiny bit like shoving a round block through a square hole. It was the “wow” factor, but (for me, anyway) it ended with, “wow…oh-kay, seriously?”

Least to say, I can sum up with the wise words that a) soccer is dangerous, b) people who don’t sleep are insane, and c) if the plot lags, HIT SOMENE WITH A CAR (this may or may not have happened multiple times). If you like stories with the contemporary chill and the thrill of supernatural sleeplessness, INSOMNIA will not disappoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insomnia.

April 29, 2013 – Shelved
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 6, 2013 – Started Reading
July 6, 2013 –
page 134
38.18% "Good, but not as good as I hoped. Premise is cool and creepy, but writing isn't tight."
July 7, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult