SOS Aloha's Reviews > The Devil's Heart

The Devil's Heart by Cathy Maxwell

Apr 28, 2013

"What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

The Chattan family lives (and dies) by a 17th century curse:

When a Chattan male falls in love, strike his heart with fire from above...

THE DEVIL’S HEART is the third book in the Chattan Curse trilogy. It can be read as a standalone novel as Maxwell provides the backstory in the first chapter for those who have not read LYON’S BRIDE (Book 1) or THE SCOTTISH WITCH (Book 2). But I recommend reading the books in order as Margaret, the heroine in Book 3, develops throughout the trilogy.

With a name like Maxwell, the author should know a thing or two about Scotland. And she does. Over half of Maxwell’s 26 full length Regency Romances have a Scottish connection. The Highlands are a popular topic in Regency Romances and Maxwell captures Alba like no other. THE DEVIL’S HEART delivers the Highlanda at their finest – the majesty of the rugged land, the charm of the eccentric clans, and the undeniable draw to the Old Ways. I've had the honor of visiitng the Highlands. I’ve sat in the quiet solitude of crumbling castles. I felt history come alive as the wind whistled through the romantic ruins. THE DEVIL’S HEART transported me back to this beloved trip.

When we first met Margaret in LYON’S BRIDE, she was a cold fish to anyone but her brothers. THE SCOTTISH WITCH revealed just how much she feared the curse. THE DEVIL’S HEART gives Margaret the opportunity to test her own mantle as she challenges a long dead witch. Margaret is flawed, through and through, and I loved her for it! She learns, as Helen Keller wrote, that she can embrace life despite the threat of the curse.

Maxwell is a Navy Veteran … and I applaud her for giving us a hero who is a Navy Veteran, too. Heath is all that we see in today’s sailors – honorable, loyal, and brave. He is an Alpha hero without being a stereotypical rake. Heath is an unexpected laird with the common sense to modernize his clan. He thinks the curse is nonsense, but still helps Margaret, hoping to prove the curse cannot control their lives. In the end, he opens his heart to Margaret … and reminded me that veterans leave no man (or woman) behind.

Maxwell captivated me with an unexpected, but endearing, final confrontation wtih the wretched curse. Make sure you have a box of tissues handy. Maxwell reminded me why I read Regency Romance … we can escape into the historical fantasy while still shaping our modern sensibilities.

I received a print copy from Avon Romance for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Heart.

Finished Reading