Brandi's Reviews > Acid

Acid by Emma Pass

it was ok
Recommended to Brandi by: That cover.
Recommended for: I can't really recommend this one.

Oh my word, this ended up being one big disappointment. At first I thought for sure I had another winner, and was planning on giving it five stars, but then I got to the second half of the book and almost rage quit. I'll be discussing the plot in depth (though I wouldn't consider it too spoilerish), and any spoiler tags will true spoilers, so don't open the tags if you don't want to know what they say.

The first part

The book opens with our protagonist as an inmate in prison, and one thing that I can't get enough of, is some hard-as-nails women. I just love those kinds of characters. I want to be them, and if I can't be them, I want them to be my best friend. Jenna impressed me from the first page and it just kept getting better. One of the first lines: "I curl my lip into a snarl, half tempted to go over there and introduce him to my fists." And this one: "Hopefully he's got a good view of the tattoo on the back of my neck, the one I did myself last year using ink from a pen I found in the laundry and a shard of metal, telling him and anyone else who cares to read it to FUCK OFF."

Give me moar!!! I caught my face moving into that impressed grin that I have when I come across a chick like that, and I'm telling you, I was excited to see what happened next.

The story is about our girl's journey from hard inmate, to...pudding soft girl in love? Yeah. But I'll get to that in the second half of this review. Back to the girl that I couldn't get enough of! She ends up being broken out of prison by the prison's doctor, and though she has no idea why, she ends up--actually, she doesn't end up finding out why until nearly the end. But her annoyance with that was perfectly matched to my own, so I applaud the author for putting that in there.

Jenna goes through so much that I really felt bad for her for most of the book, but she doesn't wallow and complain, nope! She's gets pissed off!! (view spoiler) The dark tones of this book were just superb! Everything was fabulously done.

Until she met a boy.

The second part

Now it all goes very wrong for me. After seeing Jenna be such a badass for so long, seeing her become so...obsessed...with Max really pissed me off. I can understand her having some feelings for a boy since she is still a teenager, but it just didn't mesh with the character I'd been reading about. She meets him after he tries to mug her, and then he goes through withdrawals in her flat. He's wanted by ACID too, and is the son of the prison doctor who broke her out of prison, and somehow she thinks that she owes him. Mind you, she's basically in witness protection, and the charade she's trying really hard to maintain is getting all kinds of jacked up, but no matter, he's got pretty eyes and a nice smile. There's this horrible woman in her apartment building that she knows will alert ACID if anything seems suspicious, and guess what happens? Yep. She does just that and then Jenna and Max make a run for it.

As they're running from the agents, they somehow find this underground hiding spot for other people who are bucking the laws set down by the evil ACID regime. ACID really was a good evil, just to be clear, and I can't even imagine what living in a world like that would be like. If some nosy person wanted to fucking spy on me daily I'd likely lose my mind. Mind your own business! Anyway, they're suddenly surrounded by these other people, and Jenna decided that they'd pretend to be a couple. Since the other people seemed to be all couples. Yeah. I can get past that though I suppose. Max is really sick though, and they end up staying there for several days while he recovers from his fever, and during this time I guess they fall in love. There's not much to go on here, other than that they're both on the run, and they're both in close confines together, but Max doesn't even know who she is really, and Jenna makes no move to enlighten him and try to make him understand what all happened to her. (view spoiler)

The haven turns out to be not such a safe place after all when they learn the leader is actually a crazy man who amounts to a domestic terrorist. The, six?, other people there apparently frighten Jenna so much that she makes no attempt to break free. Our badass girl who is more than capable of holding her own as the only female in a high security prison, is intimidated by a few teenagers. Max in turn seems to be incapable of really defending himself, aside from being ill of course, because not one time does he attempt to break free either. I get that the leader was a better fighter than Jenna, but there's two of them, and all they had to do was disable the fragile looking girl, and get the gun back, and then they could have left. But whatever.

As they get roped into this terrorist plot, they manage to run for it, and try to let ACID know that there's a bunch of bad about to happen. What actually happens though is that Jenna gets herself sent back to prison!!! And Max finds out who she is and declares his hatred for her. That doesn't matter to Jenna though because, no shit, (this is a memory of him that tries to surface later) "I can't make out his face but I feel an inexplicable pull towards him, a rush of intense love mixed with sadness and guilt." The only thing she thinks about after her return to prison is Max, and how he must be feeling/holding up/thinking/being treated.

No. Joke.

Then, our brilliant girl is given a 'get out of jail free' pass, and after she's once again rescued, she decides to fuck up years worth of planning so she can go save poor Max from prison. I swear this whole fucking line of bullshit made me so pissed that I was thisclose to quitting. Gone is the girl that I was totally loving, and in her place was this obsessive little BRAT who didn't care about anything but her love and her revenge. Never mind the FACT that if the general saw her he would recognize her on the spot, NO, she must save Max!! SHE MUST! She's also told how she is to be a legit ACID officer, but fuck that, there's suffering people in this prison! She had no idea!! Not like she fucking spent two years in a prison herself, NO! She ignores all the orders and helps herself into cells to give food, water, and just fucking companionship to a prisoner, and some-fucking-how she's never caught. Even though the place is supposed to be under video surveillance like no other, NO, IT DOESN'T MATTER! SHE MUST HELP THIS GIRL!

The ending (view spoiler) @#$#$^^^&*%^#@$@!#$#$^%^*^&* RAAAAAGE!!!!!!

JUST FUCKING UGH. I'm done. This review is out of control long, and I'm just fucking done. Oh, but real quick. This bugs me so much. When telling military time, use numbers, NEVER letters. It's NEVER OH-whatever time, it's ALWAYS zero-whatever time. It's not oh-eight hundred, it's zero eight hundred, or just zero-eight. I fucking hate that. Unless it's different for the British, and then disregard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acid.

April 28, 2013 – Shelved
August 8, 2013 – Started Reading
August 8, 2013 –
0.0% "I've wanted to read this for a while! So excited--let's hope it's really good."
August 8, 2013 –
1.0% "Strong opening? Check. Badass girl I'm going to love? I think so! "I curl my lip into a snarl, half tempted to go over there and introduce him to my fists.""
August 8, 2013 –
2.0% "Duuuuuude, this chick!!!! Jen, are you ready for her?!"
August 8, 2013 –
6.0% "damnit, I can't read those news clippings without messing with my font size and I'm too lazy to do that."
10.0% "Dis book."
August 8, 2013 –
14.0% "1) This Cade guy infuriated me, and I doubt it'll be better. 2) I love seeing the differences in terms for Brits and here. A baked potato is called a jacket potato. ^_^"
August 9, 2013 –
54.0% "Aaaahhhhh!!!!! How is all of this happening?!"
August 9, 2013 –
54.0% "The tension is this book, gah!!! I hope there's some relief soon. *digs back in*"
August 9, 2013 –
55.0% ""If they think they can break me, they're in for a shock." I love this girl!!!"
August 9, 2013 –
58.0% "Well that option doesn't make sense. The second one, sure, but not the first."
August 9, 2013 –
73.0% "This poor girl. :("
August 9, 2013 –
80.0% "I almost always prefer some romance in my nooks, but this one isn't working for me. At all. Thankfully it's not that bad, but it's enough to annoy me."
81.0% "*heavy sigh*"
August 9, 2013 –
82.0% "This is ruining my enjoyment of the book! Stopit girl!"
August 9, 2013 –
85.0% "If the first half wasn't as strong as it was I'd give on and rage quit right now."
August 9, 2013 –
88.0% "I'm highlighting at least one thing on every fucking page now, and it's all shit that isn't working!!!!"
August 9, 2013 –
98.0% "the biggest shock was her?! my ass."
August 9, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Oh man. It went downhill *sigh* I know Jenny's having issues too.

I'm still going to try and finish the book this weekend.

Faye, la Patata OMG. I'm so GLAD I DNFed this one. What you wrote here would have made me SUPER crazy, too!!! Thanks for the review, Brandi!!

Brandi ^-^ I wish it had stayed awesome, it was looking so good at first!

message 4: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa God I hate it when that happens. I was excited until I saw your updates go from happy to shouty caps. Great review Bran Muffin ^_^

Brandi I was so wrong about my name not being good for nicknames, haha! ^~^

message 6: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa Oh man, I got like 50 of em saved up.

message 7: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Brandi wrote: "I was so wrong about my name not being good for nicknames, haha! ^~^"

Haha! Yeah, I thought mine wasn't either

Kathylill laughing so hard :D amazing review...

Kathylill Do you know the movie Chronicles of Riddick? Riddick is taken to Crematoria, a harsh subterrenean prison moon, where Jack from Pitch Black was reported to have been sent. Jack / Kyra and the prison on Crematoria: That was what I expexted

Brandi Always glad to entertain. ^-^

I watched one of those movies, but it was a long time ago, and I can't really remember what all happened, lol.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

"Oh, but real quick. This bugs me so much. When telling military time, use numbers, NEVER letters. It's NEVER OH-whatever time, it's ALWAYS zero-whatever time. It's not oh-eight hundred, it's zero eight hundred, or just zero-eight. I fucking hate that."

THANK YOU!! It gets on my nerves almost as much when someone uses 'Sarge'. Plus I agree with the rest of your review.

Brandi Amen, Gav, amen! I made a comment about the Sarge thing in my 5th Wave review too (though I gave up trying to point out Sarge isn't what you really say). I can't seem to stop myself from saying that military time isn't told with letters though, no matter how many times I see it. I hate it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

HA!!! It annoys the crap out of me. The Sarge and time thing gets to me because I know authors and movie producers have people that advise them and I wonder how does someone not speak up about it? Some people say Sergeant but usually shorten it. And instructors almost always drill anyone using letters.

rachel Hey, just wanted to say wonderful review! Its exactly how I felt! Loved Jenna and then when she became Jess everything was ruined...! The whole second half of the book ruined what could have been an AMAZING book! Great review! :)

Brandi Gav, I've thought the very same thing about advisers too. The only thing I can figure is that they don't think the majority of the population wants realism?!

Thanks, Rachel! ^-^

rachel Brandi wrote: Thanks, Rachel! ^-^"

Your welcome Brandi! :D

message 17: by Pooja (new) - added it

Pooja Prabhu @brandi is acid really dat bad??

Brandi Pooja wrote: "@brandi is acid really dat bad??"

I thought so.

message 19: by AJ (new) - rated it 1 star

AJ I almost quit this book when she wanted to join the mission. I was like, are you freaking kidding me. what the heck happened to your brain. giving it a star. a mother peeping star.