Carol [Goodreads Addict]'s Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, royals

First, I want to say that I LOVED this book. I've been wanting to get to this series for so long and it most definitely did not disappoint. I love the names of the three main characters, America, Aspen, and Prince Maxon. Awesome names. To describe America Singer, I would say she is loyal, tough, passionate, and at the same time, vulnerable and a little bit naive. I instantly fell in love with her. Aspen is someone she has known all her life and the last two years, they fell in love. But in this society, people are divided by castes. America is a 5 which is below the average. They are artists and musicians but frequently struggle for money. Aspen is a six. They frequently clean houses and other such jobs and never have enough money for food or clothes. Five's are not allowed to marry six's. Their relationship is secret. But, Aspen has decided that he has to let her go. He cannot provide for her and feels she can do better. The Royal Family has decided it is time for their young Prince Maxon to find a wife. So they hold a lottery and eligible young ladies send in an application. 35 ladies are chosen to participate in The Selection. Hopefully The Prince will find his future bride among these young women. America does not want to enter but Aspen tells her he wants her to and so does her family. And, much to her surprise, she is chosen. So, she goes off to the Royal Palace. She tastes food like she never has tasted before. She gets to wear the most beautiful gowns. And, she meets Prince Maxon. I INSTANTLY fell in love with Maxon. He is so adorable. And there is an instant connection between he and America. I was team Maxon from their first meeting. This book is super sweet and I just hated to have to put it down. I hope I can inspire anyone who reads this to give it a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

April 28, 2013 – Shelved
April 28, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 25, 2013 – Started Reading
July 25, 2013 –
page 78
23.85% "I'm loving this so far."
July 28, 2013 – Shelved as: dystopian
July 28, 2013 –
page 131
40.06% "I haven't had much time to read these past few days but I am loving this book. Maxon and America make such a sweet couple even though they say they are just friends. Is it too much to hope for that she might fall in love with him?"
July 30, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 18, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 19, 2018 – Shelved as: royals

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I've been debating about whether or not to give this a try, and your review makes it sound like a good read. I will be adding it to my to-read list.

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Samantha wrote: "I've been debating about whether or not to give this a try, and your review makes it sound like a good read. I will be adding it to my to-read list."

Thank you, Samantha!!! I loved both books so much, couldn't put them down. I actually just this minute finished reading the #2.5 novella, The Guard. I'll review it in a little while. I cannot wait for The One to come out. I hope you like it when you get to it. XO

message 3: by Pinky (new) - added it

Pinky Awesome review!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Pinky wrote: "Awesome review!"

Thanks so much, Pinky! I am in love with this series.

•keaton mckenzie• I am currently reading The Selection. I love it so far and I am so excited for the rest of the series!!!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Keaton wrote: "I am currently reading The Selection. I love it so far and I am so excited for the rest of the series!!!"

Oh Keaton, I loved this series so much. I think you will too. Have fun.

•keaton mckenzie• Yay!! Thank you! I am on page 119 and I still can't help but miss Aspen. I loved him:(

Nazanin Lovely review, Carol! ♡

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Fantastic review, Carol! ♡♡ I absolutely loved this book! Glad you enjoyed it, too! :D

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Nazanin wrote: "Lovely review, Carol! ♡"

Thanks so much, Nazanin! I loved this book and series so much!!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Fantastic review, Carol! ♡♡ I absolutely loved this book! Glad you enjoyed it, too! :D"

Thanks so much, Jess. Oh my gosh, I loved both the book and series so much!

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Fab review Carol super sweet is good xx

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Deborah wrote: "Fab review Carol super sweet is good xx"

Thanks, Deborah! I loved this series so much!! XO

Tijuana *Book Twins Reviews* Fantastic review, I've had these audiobooks on my shelf so long. You've convinced me to bump them up.

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Tijuana [TJ Loves Books Blog] wrote: "Fantastic review, I've had these audiobooks on my shelf so long. You've convinced me to bump them up."

Yay, thanks so much, Tijuana! I've never listened to the audio versions but I was absolutely in love with this series. I hope you enjoy them!!!

Sarbjot I LOVED THIS SERIES SO MUCH!!! Same, I was Maxon's team. I read all the books their SSSOOO GOOD!!! Great review by the way.

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Sarbjot wrote: "I LOVED THIS SERIES SO MUCH!!! Same, I was Maxon's team. I read all the books their SSSOOO GOOD!!! Great review by the way."

Thank you so much, Sarbjot! I loved this whole series.

message 18: by Aileene (new)

Aileene You reviewed this thoroughly and beautifully, Carol.

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Aileene wrote: "You reviewed this thoroughly and beautifully, Carol."

Thanks so, so much, Aileene. I fell in love with this book and series. I just loved it!! XO

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie   (*Happily Ever Chapter*) I STILL haven't started this series. So many people have been recommending it to me but I haven't picked it up yet. I may have to change that soon. Wonderful review!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Julie wrote: "I STILL haven't started this series. So many people have been recommending it to me but I haven't picked it up yet. I may have to change that soon. Wonderful review!"

Thanks so much, Julie. I've gotten away from YA lately. But this series kept me coming back for more. I just loved it!!

message 22: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl La Pa Great review!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Cheryl wrote: "Great review!"

Thanks so much, Cheryl!!! XO

message 24: by Tasneem (new) - added it

Tasneem Khaled Thank you for the review. I am going to read this series after I finish the matched trilogy.

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Tasneem wrote: "Thank you for the review. I am going to read this series after I finish the matched trilogy."

I'm so excited for you to read this, Tasneem! I loved the series so much. By the way, I really enjoyed the Matched series as well. I hope you do too!!

message 26: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Fabulous review Carol !💖😉

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Kat wrote: "Fabulous review Carol !💖😉"

Thanks, Kat. I couldn't help but to love this series.

message 28: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cowles I love this book so much! You’re making me want to reread it! 💖

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Catherine wrote: "I love this book so much! You’re making me want to reread it! 💖"

Awwww, thanks, Catherine. I was obsessed with this series when it came out. I loved every single book!

message 30: by Somia (new) - added it

Somia Nice review Carol

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Somia wrote: "Nice review Carol"

Thank you so much, Somia. I loved this series. I was completely obsessed with it while I was reading it!

message 32: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex This sounds good I completely forgot about this series & I’m glad it re appeared on my dash thanks to you! Gonna be my next read the minute I pick it up

message 33: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie I've heard a lot about this series, I will have to look into it. Lovely review, glad you enjoyed it!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Alex wrote: "This sounds good I completely forgot about this series & I’m glad it re appeared on my dash thanks to you! Gonna be my next read the minute I pick it up"

Thank you, Alex, this makes me so happy. I was so seriously obsessed with this series. I reviewed this so long ago and my review is lacking in so many ways. I'm a little embarrassed that people are reading it now. As you go through the series, my reviews will hopefully improve. lol Good luck. I hope you love it as much as I did!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Mackenzie wrote: "I've heard a lot about this series, I will have to look into it. Lovely review, glad you enjoyed it!"

Thank you, Mackenzie. I loved this series so much. I hope that you do give it a chance.