Jennifer's Reviews > Jitterbug Perfume

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Sep 10, 2007

did not like it
Recommended to Jennifer by: a million different people
Recommended for: enemies.
Read in May, 2009

i've found that with tom robbins' novels, you either love it or hate it. i hated this one. disappointing since so many people have told me that i "HAD" to read it, assured that i would just love it. for the record, i liked 'still life with woodpecker' and 'skinny legs and all.' i didn't care for 'even cowgirls get the blues' and thought this one was so full of shit that the topic of perfume was so sorely needed to cover the overwhelming stench. maybe i just wasn't in the right mindset. maybe i'm over his pompous prose and veiled quasi-misogynistic crap. maybe i just don't like old white guys writing southern black women in phonetics. oooh-ee, massa, tom robbins ain't no race-iss. tom robbins an ar-teest, mm-hmm. take a flying leap, jitterbug perfume. twilight was more entertaining than you.

(i'm going to get so much flack for this. i can feel it coming. but really, what the hell do i know? i'm just one dumb woman, right?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jitterbug Perfume.

02/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Keleigh (new)

Keleigh this review is more entertaining than the book could possibly be. xo

message 2: by Ollie (new)

Ollie I've never read anything by him. People keep telling me he's THE BEST EVER. I'm scared he'll turn out to be just another Douglas Coupland.

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara You don't sound like a dumb woman, just an angry girl.

Jennifer Tara wrote: "You don't sound like a dumb woman, just an angry girl."

burn.

Jennifer Ollie wrote: "I've never read anything by him. People keep telling me he's THE BEST EVER. I'm scared he'll turn out to be just another Douglas Coupland."

very similar in the disappointments garnered, yes. (at least in my opinion.)

Jennifer Keleigh wrote: "this review is more entertaining than the book could possibly be. xo"

i wish i was his editor. or brain filter.

message 7: by Keleigh (new)

Keleigh my friend carla worshiped him -- even did her honors thesis on him and modern fairytales. i read "still life with woodpecker" after graduating from berkeley and really enjoyed it, but i think i missed the window of opportunity with "jitterbug perfume" (i.e. junior year of high school).

Jennifer Keleigh wrote: "my friend carla worshiped him..."

i remember you telling me about that and wondering if i just needed to read more of his work. to each their own, i suppose. i'll still probably end up reading all of his novels (apparently there's a new one), but i'm expecting to appreciate a third to a half of the total.

i read still life with woodpecker right out of high school and enjoyed. you're probably accurate with appropriate placement for jitterbug perfume. i can't really remember any redeeming qualities about even cowgirls get the blues though. i wouldn't give that to anyone of any age. no redeeming value. at all.

message 9: by Keleigh (new)

Keleigh i remember thinking he was obsessed with redheads.

Jennifer Keleigh wrote: "i remember thinking he was obsessed with redheads.
have you heard anything about "outlander"? (change of topic - not a tom robbins novel)"

'still life...' was very redhead-centric. so far hasn't come up again in anything else i've read by him.

nope, i haven't, but it looks like it could be a fun read.

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin I don't think of Tom Robbins as misogynistic at all and I'm a feisty femme bisexual liberal creative grrl. I like the way he digs into the brain and explores topics that I get too frustrated to dig into myself. I love him!