Sharon's Reviews > The Children Of Men

The Children Of Men by P.D. James

Sep 10, 2007

bookshelves: sofarin2007
Recommended for: anyone who wants to know what the apocolypse is going to be like
Read in January, 2007

I didn't really expect this book to be good - I only read it because I had seen and loved the movie(with Clive Owen. I was so surprised to find that it was beautifully written, and laid out the possible end of humanity so realistically...you can absolutely feel what day to day life in a post-apocolyptic city would be like...ie: it would suck, but you'd get used to it. It'd be pretty mundane, after a while. What I loved about this was that there was so much less *plot* than the movie. Nothing was twisty or overly complicated. It took a long time of characterizing the people and the environment and the time period before it worked up to the action, and I think that was absolutely necessary. And it's so much more hopeful, I think. Just an all around beautifully written edge of your seat love story. And if the parts about the Quietus don't completely unsettle you, check your pulse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children Of Men.