Arielle's Reviews > National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America

National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America by National Geographic Society

Sep 10, 2007

bookshelves: birds

This is one of the most amazing books for birdwatchers. I used it for all of my ornithology classes and learned so much about identifying birds by both their markings and behavior. I had this unbelievable teacher, who had been a birdwatcher for all his life, and he went through the guide, page by page, and he showed us slides and talked about each species with a depth of knowledge that was devotional. I learned how to tell all the different gulls apart at Ocean Beach (San Francisco) and saw a red-tailed hawk in Golden Gate Park. To see a Great Blue Heron is humbling and amazing. Some of these species, you'd really think you had entered another world. This guide is thorough, has detailed drawings to help you get to know differentiations to help in identification, and has verbal descriptions as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America.

02/28 marked as: read