John-Michael's Reviews > Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days Volume 6

Neon Genesis Evangelion by Fumino Hayashi

Jun 17, 2009

it was ok

What a way for a series to self-destruct. Fumino showed a tremendous amount of promise, swinging away at a plot that seemed baked, cut, dried and hardened in the minds of many fans of the series. Ultimately, he may have pushed too hard to go somewhere with his plot and do something important. When the teenage cast of Evangelion become adults, the shark jumps, and the series degrades into a handful of "Touched by an Angel" episodes before stopping.

Was there a lack of confidence in his own abilities, or was Fumino put in charge of something too big for himself... I'm not sure. What I do know is that I've seen plenty of authors jump sharks, then alter the plot so the shark isn't relevant after all (see Battle Angel Alita for an almost chapterly rendition of this trick). All Fumino needed to do was create a next generation of Eva pilots, give the first generation new jobs, and keep plugging. I hope he was blocked by Gainax from doing anything really messy, and not himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Finished Reading