Nathan's Reviews > The Areas of My Expertise: An Almanac of Complete World Knowledge Compiled with Instructive Annotation and Arranged in Useful Order

The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman

Sep 10, 2007

bookshelves: humor, reference
Recommended for: Reference Librarians with a grudge.
Read in January, 2006

Ever wondered how many U.S. Presidents had hooks for hands? Do you wish you had easy access to a list of 700 hobo names? NPR commentator John Hodgman has, and he's written the funniest, silliest and possibly smartest reference book ever penned. Structured like an almanac that has nothing but contempt for almanacs, The Areas of my Expertise is a treat for anyone who has spent too much time in the reference section of their local library. Whether Hodgman is delivering a blistering commentary on the state of public libraries or a rant about the absurdity of the post-9/11 world, he never loses his laser-focus or his wit.

NC
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Areas of My Expertise.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oriana (new)

Oriana Oh man, I reallyreally wanted to read this book when it came out, then I forgot all about it. Now I reallyreally want to read it again!