Shaheen's Reviews > Fathomless

bookshelves: library, hachetteau
Read on June 24, 2013

4.5/5

(view spoiler)

Fathomless is a completely different beast from the other two books in this series, I almost don't know what to make of it. It's still spine-tingling and haunting, but it takes the fairy-tale retelling to a new level. I really like what Pearce did has done with the tale of The Little Mermaid - modernising it but taking it back to its gothic roots.

Set in the same world as the previous two books, Fathomless features two three main protagonists - Celia, who doesn't fit in with her sisters, the third wheel to their twins; Lo, a mermaid who feels increasingly stifled with her life under the sea; and  I can't tell you about the third for fear of spoiling you. Suffice to say, the predictions I made whilst reading Sweetly bore fruit. Lo jumps off the page - I can't believe how real she feels. I looked forward to all her chapters, her tortured experience of living in the darkness moved me, and my heart broke for her when it came to Jude. On the other hand, Celia initially felt boring. I think this is intentional on the author's part: Celia feels like she's a part of a set, and it takes her a long time to figure out an identity beyond that. Celia grew on me the more she grew into herself, and by the end of the book I respected and liked her.

Unfortunately, the rest of the characters are a bit of a blur to me: Celia's sisters came off as selfish and controlling, and I ended up vehemently disliking them, Jude is kind of flat, with no real distinguishing features, and the other mermaids were mystifying (although I did like Molly).

As usual, I'm left a little speechless at the world that Pearce has created, especially Lo's world in the murky depths of the sea. I also like her interpretation of mermaids, a far cry from Disney's Ariel. The world of the triplets is a little harder to immerse oneself in, a boarding school and small fair that didn't really resonate with me, but the ocean provides some balance.

Like the other books in the series, Fathomless has a central focus in family, and sisterhood is deeply explored in this book. Not only does Celia struggle with her family and the obligation she feels to her sisters because of their powers, Lo feels a deep loyalty to her sister mermaids and it's difficult for her to leave the safety of her newfound family. The parallels between the two are clear - they both need to figure out who they are without their sisters.

Another instalment of the gorgeous fairytale retellings is over, and I can't wait to read Cold Spell (based on Hans Christian Andersen’s The Snow Queen). I think fans of fairytales and good, dark fantasy will love this series by Jackson Pearce, and fans of Sisters Red and Sweetly are sure to enjoy this novel.

You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fathomless.

04/26/2013 marked as: to-read
06/24/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/24/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I haven't read this one yet (but I want to) and I almost didn't hit your spoiler thing, but I LOVE that connection between the books! I really love it. I'm so looking forward to reading Fathomless (eventually) because it's Little Mermaid-esque.

Shaheen Kim wrote: "I haven't read this one yet (but I want to) and I almost didn't hit your spoiler thing, but I LOVE that connection between the books! I really love it. I'm so looking forward to reading Fathomless ..."

OK so I totally totally missed this, until I was flipping through Sisters Red, and Silas' surname was Reynolds, and he *mentioned* sisters in school and dead father and lots of brothers. And suddenly, all the lightbulbs went on inside my head.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim There are so many of them, it's no wonder they turn up whenever Fenris are around.