Tony's Reviews > So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love

So Good They Can't Ignore You by Cal Newport

bookshelves: 2013, favourites, fnf, reviewed, lifehacking, non-fiction

It's really difficult to know what rating to give this. The style of it grated pretty heavily in places, as did the constant “Here's what I'm going to tell you next” / “Here's what I just told you” summaries. And for a book that states up-front that it's going to be written in the style of a manifesto, it's actually much more of an autobiographical quest interspersed with a series of interviewee mini-biographies.

But for all its problems it does a great job of combining the central ideas of Drive, Talent Is Overrated, Little Bets, and Where Good Ideas Come From into a simple, coherent, well-structured, and well-supported argument that best way to find your dream job is simply to work really hard at turning your existing job into it.

It could have been a much better book, but for the number of interesting insights along the way I'll round up, rather than down, my ★★★½.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Good They Can't Ignore You.

April 23, 2013 – Started Reading