Robin's Reviews > Grave Secret

Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris

Jun 16, 2009

liked it

Love this series with Harper Connelly but understand this will be her last book.

Update: I have followed this author for years, reading the Aurora Teagarden mysteries until I tired of them, followed by the Lily Bard series, which was ended by the author. I was excited when she started the Harper Connelly series and enjoyed the first three and was disappointed when I heard this would be her last, but after reading it, decided it's best that she put Harper out to pasture.

Harper travels around the country finding dead people and helping to solve the mystery of how they died and who did it. She travels with her stepbrother who helps run the business and takes care of her as seeing such trauma can have its down side. I have found these creepy and compelling yet this last one was a little too "icky" even for me (and that's saying a lot!). I hate to say anymore except the relationship between the stepbrother and Harper has gotten increasingly stranger. I thought their behavior was a little over the top and didn't quite fit the earlier drawn personality of Harper. The mystery was also pretty benign.

So, my recommendation is try the first book and if you like it, by all means continue the series; just be forewarned that the last book might be best left unread or skimmed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Secret.

06/05/2016 marked as: read

Claire Riley I agree! I know there was nothing wrong with the relationship but it just didn't sit well with me at all. I felt they either needed to have started the series together already or stayed apart, it just felt weird somehow. I found the last 2 books very 'samey' but I'm a sucker for a series ha!

Jenny I loved the relationship until the 4th book; something felt 'off' :( I never felt that way until this one, and it's not the brother-sister aspect (if anything, the fact that they emphasized that vs. last book's "we are NOT really bro-sis' may have curdled my initial enthusiasm...).

Melissa I agree. Although they aren't related by blood it felt weird and icky to me.