Carol's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

bookshelves: classics, ebook, fiction, feminism, read-2015
Recommended to Carol by: Jean

A loveless marriage + two children + a life of leisure = a bored woman who no longer wants to be a submissive wife. Throbbing with an uncontrollable desire for the handsome Robert, 29 year old Edna decides to change her life.....resulting in an unfortunate outcome.

Beautifully written and first published in 1899 this short classic tale of a woman's independence and unorthodox decisions caused a stir with the critics and people of the time causing the novel to be banished for decades afterward......times sure have changed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

April 24, 2013 – Shelved
June 13, 2015 – Shelved as: fiction
June 13, 2015 – Shelved as: feminism
June 13, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
June 13, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

LATOYA JOVENA Times have changed indeed. I read this book in high school and totally didn't get it. "Get a divorce dummy." This was right around the time Britney Spears was married for 2 days. Forgive me.
It wasn't until I reread it in college that I realized that Edna simply didn't have such easy choices then.

Carol LATOYA wrote: "Times have changed indeed. I read this book in high school and totally didn't get it. "Get a divorce dummy." This was right around the time Britney Spears was married for 2 days. Forgive me.
It was..."

Lol Latoya (2 days?)......Wish Edna would have decided on different course though in the end.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Amen to that!

Carol Jen wrote: "Amen to that!"

:-)

LATOYA JOVENA Carol wrote: "LATOYA wrote: "Times have changed indeed. I read this book in high school and totally didn't get it. "Get a divorce dummy." This was right around the time Britney Spears was married for 2 days. For..."

Me too.