Robert Sylwery's Reviews > Embrace

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

it was ok
bookshelves: did-not-like, too-boring

Deities of all nations, help me not to break my Kindle and stomp on it! Save my nerves...

description

One of my absolutely least favorite characters I was so unlucky to meet. I officially hate Violet Eden; the whiny, SELFISH, stupid, lackluster, weak, love-struck brat of a main character of this book.

She loves her best friend, Lincoln. He is training her for the dangers that will come, loves and protects her whenever it is needed, is as hurt by keeping secrets (for her safety) as she is after finding out. Then, when the secrets are revealed she freaks out, blames him and starts hating him. Typical teenage drama queen.

After this, she spots a hot exiled angel, who is meant to be her enemy, and becomes a slave of lust (like, literally). Someone kill me. She insists that she still loves Lincoln, but is having SEX with the exiled angel, AND tires to imagine it's Lincoln. Is she a dog in heat or what?

description

She is ALWAYS whining about her life or the lack of it, angry at everyone and everything because she does not want to kill exile angels and be a bad-ass evil hunter. And I was like:

description

Also, there's another frustrating thing. Almost in every paranormal romance there is this stupid kind of protagonists, like Viola, that have extraordinary powers but not because they deserve it or came up with it with hard work and dedication, but because one or both of their parents where powerful creatures, or because something happened by accident and they all of a sudden got bad-ass powers. But in all these cases, in no way they deserve it.
Authors, please stop that. I don't have warm feelings or respect for characters like that. They mean nothing and in real life they will be just ignored. If the main character was someone other than Viola, people would think she is a selfish brat and never mention her in the book anymore. Just think about it, you see a person discover some great powers due to their heritage, but she is stubborn, stupid and selfish, makes the worst decisions possible, always causes trouble and endangers people surrounding her. What would you do?

description

Maybe I am harsh but it's already making me sick, these kinds of characters are not interesting. I can see that most authors are really talented, are capable of making wonderful characters like Tris from Divergent (I love her. She deserves respect because she gained what she did by herself, by hard work and courage). And another frustrating thing is that if the main character is a girl, in 100km radius everyone with a d*ck wants her. What the hell authors, stop that!

description

The last thing I hate in this book (and in general) are freaking love triangles! Guys, do you really think love triangles are hot, sweet, and fun in any way?
No! They are just frustrating and I'm like this every time I see them.

description

I am not even talking about the fact that these relationships are not even love triangles. Two or more people loving and pining after the same person, and that one person loving one or more of them is not even a love triangle.

I gave this book 2 starts.

P.S. But I still hate Violet!!!

P.S.S And what's the joke with her name, Violet Eden? Really? It's like two first names. But you know, a book about angels, totally legit, yeah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embrace.

April 24, 2013 – Shelved
April 24, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
March 13, 2014 – Started Reading
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: did-not-like
March 14, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 9, 2014 – Shelved as: too-boring

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

StarWrittenBooks What is Violets powers even? I didnt finish as I am 17 myself and absolutely hated the character Violet reminds me too much of the slutty bitches at my school. Grr! >:(

Robert Sylwery I forgot already, this was 3 years ago :D However, I still feel uncomfortable remembering Violet, my hate run too deep, haha.