Alan's Reviews > EVER

EVER by Blake Butler

bookshelves: novels, read-in-2012
Recommended to Alan by: John

4 or 5 stars? Not sure but this book is one of the strangest I've ever read, and needles and unsettles you... more later.
..I'm still not sure what to say about this book but I am carrying it around with me and sneaking little reads when I can (eg in the pub when Clare goes to the loo), and am puzzled but hooked. Jolted too, and feel a bit trapped by the prose in the same way the protagonist is trapped in her various rooms..

Soemthing apocalyptic has happened, everything burns and melts or disappears in ‘yawnings’:
the sky could lift your skin off. The air would shift like some fucked puzzle. Whole bird flocks… would disappear or become fire or melt away to sludge.

The writing is often this beautiful and scary. John's review - which led me to it - is good on the language and the book's literary antecedents, he cites Marquez, and especially Beckett's Malone Dies (from the trilogy). So if you're up for that strange mix you'll like it. I might have more to say but for now I'm going to go on dipping in...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read EVER.

June 16, 2009 – Shelved
March 12, 2012 – Started Reading
March 12, 2012 – Shelved as: novels
March 19, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 20, 2012 –
page 70
67.31% "weird and more weird and kind of seeping into me like some kind of ooze. Terrific writing"
December 13, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012