Christina (Ensconced in Lit)'s Reviews > Time After Time

Time After Time by Tamara Ireland Stone

bookshelves: net-galley

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The first book, Time Between Us, was one of my favorite reads in the past year. It was lyrical, beautifully written, and masterfully crafted. This follow up takes place soon after the end of the first book. This time it's from the perspective of Bennett and how he comes to turn with his power-- what if it stops working and he can't make his way back to Anna? What if he can change the future-- will he do it? Should he do it? We also get to know more characters that have been only mentioned in the previous book, especially Bennett's sister who was lost.

I obviously really enjoyed this book since I blazed through it in two hours. The things I loved: Stone's prose is always gorgeous and flows so nicely. It's so easy and enjoyable to read. I loved seeing all the old characters again, and it was nice seeing more of Bennett's life especially from his eyes. I think the book really kicked up speed in the middle when he starts changing the future and saving people's lives. I was riveted and had to know what happened! I loved all the ethical issues Stone brought up as well as the very obvious/and not so obvious issues in Anna and Bennett's complicated long distance/time relationship.

That said, I think I liked the first book better for a couple of reasons. I know how hard it is to write from a boy's perspective (or for any writer to write in the head of someone of the opposite sex). I do say I struggled a bit trying to remind myself that the narrator was Bennett. I thought it was odd he not once lusted after Anna or thought about sex. His voice sounded similar to Anna's as well. Also, while I totally understand why the book was ended the way it was-- I felt a bit unsatisfied and had many unanswered questions. It was probably impossible to get more resolution than was given, but that didn't stop me from wanting more.

Overall, a beautiful and well written followup to the first. While I enjoyed the first one more, this is still a must read for those who loved the first! I will continue to pick up anything Stone writes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time After Time.

April 23, 2013 – Shelved
April 23, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 21, 2013 – Started Reading
June 21, 2013 –
June 21, 2013 – Shelved as: net-galley
June 22, 2013 –
June 22, 2013 –
June 23, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi Yay! I'm excited to read this!