Navessa's Reviews > Something About You

Something About You by Julie James

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-romance

This was pretty fun. It started off with an intriguing murder-mystery, in which two characters that can’t stand each other are forced together. Oh man, could you feel the chemistry between them.

My hopes were high for some hate sex.

But then you find out almost immediately who the killer is, and the rest of the book quickly descends into “OMG, WANT TO BONE. CAN’T BONE BECAUSE CAN’T STAND. OH WAIT, NO, THAT WAS JUST A MISCOMMUNICATION, LETS BONE” with a side of “Wait…wasn’t there a murder or something?”

Oh, and sadly, there was no hate sex.

This review can also be found at The Book Eaters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something About You.

April 23, 2013 – Shelved
February 5, 2015 – Started Reading
page 1
February 5, 2015 –
18.0% "The first question that popped into his head was how a government-salaried prosecutor could ever afford a house like that. \n Wilkins appeared to be of a similar mindset… “What do you think? Rich Husband?”\n \n Of course that's the first thing you think, you sexist douche. Because she can't have inherited it, or bought it for herself because she's a whiz at investing. SHE HAS A NICE HOUSE. BECAUSE PENIS."
February 5, 2015 –
46.0% "Drat. They're going to get past these miscommunications, aren't they? Why does this always happen? AUTHORS, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO INCORPORATE HATE SEX INTO YOUR STORY. \n \n Also, I'm quite enjoying this ^_^"
February 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Ronyell Ooh! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one!

Navessa So far, I REALLY like it.

Ronyell Navessa wrote: "So far, I REALLY like it."

Awesome!!!

message 4: by Kay Dee (new)

Kay Dee i went to put this on my TBR list and it's already there. ha!

Navessa LOL! It's definitely a fun read. Didn't blow my mind, but I REGRET NOTHING.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lol, I like Julie James for that. Never blow my mind, but good for a fun time.

Navessa I think I'll have to read more of her. She seems like she'd be a perfect fit for whenever I'm in the mood for something light and fun.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Navessa wrote: "I think I'll have to read more of her. She seems like she'd be a perfect fit for whenever I'm in the mood for something light and fun."

Yes, that's it :) Have you read Practice makes perfect? I remember liking this one - not original, more chick-lit, but really fun if you like the love/hate banter :)

Navessa I LOVE THE LOVE/HATE BANTER. DO WANT.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Navessa wrote: "I LOVE THE LOVE/HATE BANTER. DO WANT."

LOL. JD and Payton are right down your alley then :D

Navessa Woot! I put it on the "soon" shelf. ^_^

message 12: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Feb 09, 2015 07:29AM) (new)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Navessa wrote: "Woot! I put it on the "soon" shelf. ^_^"

Yay! And I'm curious to see what you think about how feminism is handled here. And I must warn you, the hero throws sexist comments all over the place. Payton calls him on his shit, so I could overtake it, but that's good to know :)

Navessa I should be fine with it if the female lead calls him out. But I don't think I'll end up liking the male lead unless his perceptions change.

That was my issue with this male lead, actually. He was awfully sexist.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Navessa wrote: "I should be fine with it if the female lead calls him out. But I don't think I'll end up liking the male lead unless his perceptions change.

That was my issue with this male lead, actually. He wa..."

Yes I didn't read a lot of books from Julie James but it seems to be her pattern : her male-leads are sexist - fortunately her heroines are strong but as you, that prevented me to like him (that's why I rated it 3 stars, actually). You have Lauren Layne who writes good contemporary romance too. Good as funny and hot. Of course all the male leads are smokin' hot but then, I'm not sure that's not always the case in chick lit.

Navessa Yup, smokin' hot seems to be the trend. I'll have to check out Layne. I haven't read anything by her.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

No hate sex :(

Navessa IKR?!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a sucker for those relationships too. I have no idea why, but they are plain hot hot hot

Navessa Agreed. I want more of them in my life.

Ronyell Awesome review!!!

message 21: by Brigid (new)

Brigid DAMN. IT. I live for the hate sex. I love love love hate to love relationship books. They are my crack.