Erin's Reviews > The Pilgrim's Regress

The Pilgrim's Regress by C.S. Lewis

Jun 15, 2009

Recommended to Erin by: V
Recommended for: people with some background of philosophy or literature
Read in June, 2009

I loved this book! It is clear that it was written with more than a knowledge but rather a deep understanding of "the search" and the many different viewpoints that one comes into contact with along the way. The graceful art in which he interwove and utilized one's capacity for spacial visualization in such a deep and revealing way was amazing. If I were to liken it to something, and this may be a little strange but bear with me, it would remind me of a flower. It starts off as a bud held in your hand. It's fairly interesting rather simplistic, something easily grasped. However, as it begins to unfold there hidden vibrant colors, you begin to realize it's shape has changed completely and it's actually a much deeper and more complex approach than you first thought. As you lean in to breath its fragrance, you find that you were never holding the flower but standing upon it.

I loved the fun use of words sprinkled throughout, it was challenging and just plain fun. Like a treasure hunt. I loved how he tied in Old English roots etc. The only thing I wish that I had had was a better knowledge of Greek or at least a commentary or translation. But honestly, I enjoyed this book so much, I would love to read a commentary on it. There were so many thoughtfully chosen, unexplained details that I think would be fun, to unravel and discover their respective sources.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilgrim's Regress.

08/20/2016 marked as: read