Krissa's Reviews > The Reluctant Fundamentalist

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid

Sep 09, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: Conrad

It's weird to say that I loved everything except the narrative style in this novel. Changez, the protagonist, narrates the entire story to an uneasy American sharing a cafe table with him in Lahore - from his days at Princeton to his experience of New York as a Pakistani after 9/11. It's a gripping story, made more so by the indirect reactions of the American listener and the sense of unease created by them.

I'm not saying I hated the narrative style - the stiff politeness veiling some pretty heady emotion worked its mojo pretty well for the author's purposes. I just found the necessary withdrawals of the story to illuminate present action in the cafe itself a little jarring, which, although I realize was the point, still drew me away from the story too much for my liking.

Loved the ending, though. And really loved the view of New York and America through such uneasily affiliated eyes. Very powerfully told, all in all.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Fundamentalist.

Started Reading