M. ~ B&B's Reviews > Extinguish

Extinguish by J.M. Darhower

The world isn’t always black and white. Sometimes, it’s gray, and sometimes that gray explodes into colors you never knew existed before.

Extinguish was amazing. I slept on it and I am still consumed by it. The story and the writing were so intriguing and perfect that I finished it in one day. I just couldn’t put it down. It made me feel every emotion possible. I laughed, cried, got mad, had hope, felt touched and betrayed. J.M. Darhower has a way with words and her stories are always so well-crafted, deep, intense and multilayered. I can honestly say I will buy and read anything that woman writes.
There’s a thin line between good and evil. There’s a gray area, one we all step into. And that’s okay, I think. We’re not immune to emotions. Just promise me you won’t ever step past it. You won’t ever let it consume you. That you’ll be careful.

This story made me question a lot of things and here I am still wondering what the hell I read yesterday. What happens when black and white collide? What is good and what is evil? Is there even such a thing?
"Maybe I'm the enemy. Maybe I'm evil. Maybe I am this Satan creature you make me out to be, the one the kids up top call the devil.

But, then again, maybe I'm not. Maybe I'm just misunderstood, and you'll never know because you refuse to have an open mind about it."
There are always two sides to every story and no person is one-dimensional. That what we presume to be pure evil, may be influenced by good. That what we presume to be pure good, may be tainted with tiny specks of evil.

Serah is one of God’s warrior angels. She is a beautiful soul who sees the beauty in everything, including the ugly. She sees the good in everyone and spends her lifetime protecting the innocent and shielding them from the cruelties of the world. She cares when no one else gives a damn. She tries when everyone else says it’s hopeless. She is hopeful, loving and caring. She never questioned anything until her equally beautiful brother became a fallen angel.
I have you – my brother. As long as I have you, I'd be a fool to ask for more.
While she is devastated by this loss, she gets orders from God to go the gates of Hell and try to establish a truce with the Devil. His name is Lucifer, but we can call him Luce. This assignment brings Serah face to face with the creature that’s supposed to want to destroy the world. Soon she sees the good in him too and realizes that there are two sides to him.
There were two sides to him, two vastly different beings somehow coexisting within one body. There was Satan, the red-eyed demon, who lashed out in anger and invoked evil… and then there was Lucifer, making the best of what he'd been given, still finding color in a dark, dark world.

The lines between good and evil get extremely blurred as we witness everything that unfolds between them. It comes to the point where you can’t tell who the bad guy is in this story.
Say what you will about Lucifer, but one thing is undeniable: he was the first to defy destiny. And being the first to do anything takes guts.

Lucifer used to be God’s Archangel before he got locked up in Hell. It makes you wonder what could ever be worth it to give his Archangel status up.
I’d rather endure an eternity of pain by choice than feel nothing forever by force.
This story will surprise and shock you. There were many twists that I didn't see coming and the story was intriguing to say the least. The messages were subtly conveyed in an astonishing and beautiful story about love, sacrifice and two extremes that violently collide. Nothing in this world is black and white.
We’re the gray area, angel.

Lucifer's angel

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extinguish.

Quotes M. ~ B&B Liked

J.M. Darhower
“Ah, sin," Lucifer said. "Like the serpent that tricked Eve into eating the forbidden fruit. She devoured it, knowing she shouldn't."
"And she was punished for it."
"She was," Lucifer agreed. "But if you think for a moment she truly regretted it, you're wrong. That fruit was the most glorious thing she ever tasted—the sweetest, the ripest—and once you experience something so breathtaking, you never forget it. You never regret it.”

J.M. Darhower
“I think you're my apple," she said quietly. "I don't regret tasting you. I can't. You're not perfect by any means—there are sweeter out there, and you have a few rotten spots—but I'd never have found a juicer apple anywhere in the world."-Serah”

J.M. Darhower
“Someday she’d remember, she swore. Someday she’d know his name. Someday she’d know hers. And someday, she’d know why: why he haunted her every thought, why, when she looked into his eyes, she felt like she was home. Because time passes, and memories fade, but a beating heart never truly forgets anything. Never.”

J.M. Darhower
“It’s not black and white," he said. "If it were, I wouldn’t be here right now, and neither would you. We’re the gray area, angel. We’re the pieces of the puzzle they don’t know what to do with, the pieces that don’t quite fit into their perfect little picture, so they choose to discard us, to keep their image untainted,but we can only be ignored for so long.”

J.M. Darhower
“Being the first to do anything takes guts.”

April 22, 2013 – Shelved
June 15, 2013 – Started Reading
June 15, 2013 –
36.0% "You shouldn't judge a flower by who picked it."
June 15, 2013 –
51.0% "I have you - my brother. As long as I have you, I'd be a fool to ask for more."
June 15, 2013 –
56.0% ""You just don't stop loving someone. Love changes you."\n "Then why are you so standoffish?" he asked. \n "Because love changes, too.""
June 15, 2013 –
86.0% "I plead self-defense... Or insanity. Either works for me, I think."
June 15, 2013 –
87.0% "It's not black and white. (..) We're the gray area, angel."
June 15, 2013 –
100.0% "Time passes, and memories fade, but a beating heart never truly forgets anything. Never."
June 15, 2013 – Finished Reading
June 16, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
June 16, 2013 – Shelved as: favorite-fantasy-paranormal-series
June 16, 2013 – Shelved as: inspiring-and-beautiful
June 16, 2013 – Shelved as: thought-provoking
June 16, 2013 – Shelved as: heartbreakingly-beautiful
June 16, 2013 – Shelved as: did-not-see-that-coming

Rosanna Great review!! You picked out some damn good quotes. :)

Lucia Beautiful review Marta! I am still thinking about this story myself!

M. ~ B&B Thanks girls. It still won't let me go!

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Great review, Martita. Glad you enjoyed this one x

M. ~ B&B Thank you, Rosita. Highly recommended! :)

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Marta ~ Ms Bossy wrote: "Thank you, Rosita. Highly recommended! :)"

And highly PNR, I can't! LOL x

MK~ Picky Girl Marta ~ Ms Bossy wrote: "Rosita, feeling doesn't always have to be lust or love. Hate is a feeling too lol. I'll read Comfort Food with you if you want."

Let me know when you ladies are reading comfort food.
I have it downloaded and ready to go. Sounds dark and twisted, just what I like!

MK~ Picky Girl Beautiful review BTW... I felt the exact same way!

M. ~ B&B Mk ~ Take Me to My Happy Place wrote: "Beautiful review BTW... I felt the exact same way!"

Thanks sis. I will be sure to text you when we start Comfort Food.

message 10: by E.M. Abel (new) - added it

E.M. Abel Your reviews are always so awesome, Marta!

M. ~ B&B Aw thank you, Em!

message 12: by Bren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bren always adore how sweet your reviews are.

M. ~ B&B Love you Bren! Thanks.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I really need to read this huh?