Rose's Reviews > Losing It

Losing It by Cora Carmack

did not like it
bookshelves: new-adult, contemporary, romance, realistic-fiction, poetic-reviews

Pre-read Guess who got an ARC from Edelweiss for this title? :P

I'll likely read it alongside some of the other NA and YA titles I've received from them, it's just a matter of when.

Never mind, wrong book. I'll have to read this one before I read the sequel.

Post-read: I can't decide whether I want to rate this 1 star or 1.5 stars, because it really wasn't as bad as other reads I've had in the genre, but at the same time, there were too many things that annoyed me about this book. I really did not like the heroine, she was incredibly stupid and not endearing to me at all. Garrick felt like a British character written by an American author - did not sound the least bit authentic to me. While I can say he definitely didn't fit into the typical NA hero that I've read in other stories thus far (he was actually much nicer in fact), the inaccuracies surrounding his character and the fact that there's a POV change in the epilogue where his voice didn't really sound that authentic either tipped the balance for me.

It's a fluffy read, but I had too many issues with it. And I'll admit the cover's really not romantic at all. It's just showing the hero's pale chest and the heroine looking like she's not exactly comfortable. =/

Full review:

"Screwed" (featuring the cast of Cora Carmack's "Losing It")

Author's notes: If you guys didn't think I was crazy before, you'll probably think twice after reading this. I wanted to do a lyrical review for Carmack's Losing it and somehow with the craziness of the storyline, a wacky, dynamic tune that would highlight it perfectly. (It probably doesn't help that I came from an Animaniacs marathon of things on Youtube just prior to writing this…"I'm Mad" came to mind and then this came to life. Alongside a rewatch of "An American Tail." Don't blame me if your brain is broken after reading this.)

This might have some crude language and adult content, but it isn't anything that wasn't in the book.

Yeah, not much else to say other than I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did writing it. I didn't like the book, but I figured I'd have fun with this all the same. I almost wish it'd been written in this way because it would've been more hilarious to have a lyrical play on words. Then again,maybe not.

Kelsey:
Wake up, wake up, girl - today's an important day,
It's been long enough that people think you're gay,
Don't look at me like that!
Do it now, up and at 'em,
A man, you need to grab him
And get this pesky thing called virginity out the way!

Bliss (aside):
Knowing Kelsey is my friend,
I'm sorry that I have to pretend
That this doesn't worry me, no, not at all.

So I'll put a smile on my face,
Get my sexy skirt into place,
And out the door I go, just hope I don't fall.

Garrick: *spoken in most exaggerated accent ever* Oh hullo there, love!

Bliss:
Oh my word, his accent is so cute!
He's pale, British, and charming to boot.
I wonder if I can get him in my bed
But oh my gods, I'm so dead
Standing over there is Kelsey
And she's screaming in the phone "Woman, after, call me!"

Bliss:
I don't want, I don't want!
I'll put it in CAPS SIZED FONT;
I'm not the least bit interested in getting screwed.

Kelsey (aside): Yes you are! You told me!

Bliss:
Not now, I'm not, I'm NOT!
It makes my insides rot.
From these feelings that I've fought,
I'm giving it a second thought.

I'm scared, I'm scared,
I'm really, really scared!
I've come into this so unprepared!

Garrick: Bliss, wait just a minute…

Bliss:
I think I may not make it,
Oh my Gods, he's so naked
And I don't know what to say!
On the floor, out the door, I'll make my getaway!

Bliss:
Out in the parking lot tonight,
Left him there, it's not right,
But I figured he would laugh in my face.

Wait a minute, I left my keys!
Even while he was saying "Please!"
I'm an idiot, 'cause I ran from my own place!

Garrick:
I don't know what's wrong with Bliss,
We shared far more than a kiss,
But then she gets her things, running out the door.

Was it something that I did or said
That left her seeing red?
There goes my dignity, like my clothes, on the floor.

Bliss:
Just another day, I start it with a cheer,
Last of my senior year.
The night before made me like a leecher.

But then I walk into class,
Who's that I'm strolling past?
Oh for the love of... I nearly screwed my teacher!

Cade: (in a crooning, melancholy style)
I wish I could say
That I had another day
When Bliss would know me as more than a friend.

But up to the night she was pissed*
After spin the bottle, we deeply kissed
That was the point I could no longer pretend.

Audience: Awwww…

Bliss (resumes rhythm)
My best friend is in love with me,
Please say it's not to be,
Because I don't want to lose him over this.

But I can't stop thinking of him,
And my hindsight is dim,
The things I want to do with him are way more than a kiss.

But then I think he thinks I'm stupid
Whenever I'm hit by Cupid,
Making excuses why I ran out the night of that,

But I always tend to choke,
And even though I'm broke,
To keep up the lie, I have to buy that mean ol' cat.

Female gray cat named Hamlet: *hisses*

Garrick
She's my theater student, it's so forbidden,
We have to keep our relations hidden,
Though the devil may be whatever for,

But then upon the stage,
She's mauled with kisses by a page**,
And my anger boils til' I can't take it anymore.

Cade (in a crooning, melancholy style):
And alas, but it seems,
My love only exists in dreams,
Not returned by the one for whom I have longed.

Though I try to keep a straight face,
My lonely heart feels out of place,
And I wander, knowing not where I've belonged.

Audience: Oh no...

Bliss
First Cade, then Garrick broke my heart,
Though by then, I knew we were apart,
Guess that it wasn't meant to be, can't kiss and tell.

But then I realize
A haze hits my eyes,
And suddenly I'm not feeling very well...

Garrick Oh bloody hell...*stops music* it's mono. We both got it because of that night you were pissed playing spin the bottle.

Cade Why are you saying "bloody hell"?

Garrick *shrugs* I'm British, explains the vampiric paleness, my use of "love" after everything, and my irresistible accent. Just go with it. There are so many other stereotypes we're running in this, anyway.***

Cade:*grumbles* Fine. *restarts music*

Bliss:

I'm in love, I'm in love,
My heart is a little dove,
Flying about inside of me,

And to think that what I've lost,
I don't mind paying the cost,
That by the end of this tale, I've lost my virginity!

Cast: And that's the end, my friend...

Cade: Though next book, I'll lament again...****

Cast: But for now, we're saying goodbye! Goodbye!

Fin.

*pissed = drunk

**Not really, considering it's a guy in Bliss's class around her age, but I needed something to rhyme here.

***There are so many stereotypes in this novel for a romance, for depicting a British hero, and for a NA work, I couldn't begin to name them all. Some of them had me rolling my eyes a while.

****Cade's one of the protagonists in "Faking It" - the next book in this series, though I won't make the whole review verse, like I did this one.

Overall score: 1/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing It.

April 21, 2013 – Shelved
May 26, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 26, 2013 – Shelved as: romance
May 26, 2013 – Shelved as: realistic-fiction
May 26, 2013 –
1.0% "Moving this up on my reading list since I have a galley that expires in about a week or so of the sequel, and I only have the audiobook of this for a limited time. I think I could possibly get through this today or tomorrow depending on how I time it. Wish me luck, all. Hopefully it goes well (or better than expected), though I'm not sure what to expect."
May 26, 2013 –
2.0% "*facepalms* I'm already 2% in and I'm annoyed at the typification of sexuality here. I think I'm just going to have to hold my breath like Jigglypuff and run with this...for now."
May 26, 2013 –
20.0% "Gah, I'm getting major second hand embarrassment reading this. >.< I think it's supposed to be awkward in a cutesy way, but I don't find it that...cute. Bliss sounds much younger than she actually is. And her awkward love non-encounter turns out to be her professor.\n \n I think I'm going to get a cold glass of milk, some warm chocolate chip cookies, and continue reading this."
May 26, 2013 –
29.0% "*cringes at the lyrics in this part of the book*\n \n Though that does give me an idea as far as what I could do creatively with this review. I don't know. I think it depends on how this book goes as to whether I'll pull out my poet/songwriter hat to reflect in the end."
May 26, 2013 –
55.0% "*facepalms* Bliss - why can't you just tell the truth? That you're a virgin? It's not a dirty word or as big of a deal as you're making it. Be honest. You keep making excuses to the point where you actually buy a gray cat to supplement the lie you told. Argh."
May 27, 2013 –
60.0% ""Sure, he might think I'm sexy now, but virgins were pretty much the least sexy things ever."\n \n What desk to I have to hit my head against for this comment not to make me irritated as anything else? *sighs*\n \n Obviously Bliss does not know the meaning of sexy, and she seems to think that putting on a really short miniskirt is the sole definition of what "sexy" comprises.\n \n I'm going to try to finish this today."
May 27, 2013 –
75.0% "This part of the novel drags quite a bit, though I know it's depicting Bliss having mono. It's melodramatic and overwritten."
May 27, 2013 – Finished Reading
June 26, 2013 – Shelved as: poetic-reviews

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela How'd you snag this via Edelweiss? I only see its sequel, FAKING IT, as being available. (Which I have requested, btw, but am waiting to hear back on. If I get it, we could do another NA read-along!)

message 2: by Rose (last edited May 02, 2013 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose Angela wrote: "How'd you snag this via Edelweiss? I only see its sequel, FAKING IT, as being available. (Which I have requested, btw, but am waiting to hear back on. If I get it, we could do another NA read-along!)"

*facepalms* I marked the wrong book. Argh. I thought I'd clicked on Faking It versus Losing It"

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela Hah, oh well. It prompted me to go in and look at my account, and I have also been approved for FAKING IT, so my suggested read-along is a possibility. :)

message 4: by Rose (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose Angela wrote: "Hah, oh well. It prompted me to go in and look at my account, and I have also been approved for FAKING IT, so my suggested read-along is a possibility. :)"

I'm up for that. I have a few other titles I have to read before that point though, so it's just a matter of whenever I can get to them.

Surprisingly, I've had several Edelweiss titles I've requested come through in recent days, so I think my bad luck streak has been broken. Either that or I'm just hitting the right titles.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela I won't be able to consider reading it until later this month either, so timing might be perfect for both of us.

I've also had the same experience with getting a lot more titles on Edelweiss and Netgalley lately, the latter of which really surprised me. I've just amused/confused as to why William Morrow (who publishes all of these NA titles) will approve one title one day, then wait a week for another one, and then sit on the rest. I would think someone would go in and review the requests all at once.

message 6: by Angela (last edited May 02, 2013 04:56PM) (new)

Angela As a quick follow-up, I thought you might be interested to know that there's a free NA sampler available on Amazon right now, and it includes excerpts from this book and a whole bunch of the other NA titles that are popping up on Edelweiss. I downloaded it and am unimpressed so far, but it's free.

message 7: by Rose (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose Angela wrote: "As a quick follow-up, I thought you might be interested to know that there's a free NA sampler available on Amazon right now, and it includes excerpts from this book and a whole of the other NA tit..."

Thanks! Just bought it. :)

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela :) Happy to oblige.

message 9: by Syahira (new)

Syahira the cover is quite creepy for me... :/

message 10: by Rose (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose Syahira wrote: "the cover is quite creepy for me... :/"

Same here. I was going to comment on that in my extended review. I think it's meant to be "sexy", but for me, I've seen far better covers for tone and style.

message 11: by Angela (last edited May 30, 2013 12:24PM) (new)

Angela Fab-u-lous and fun review, Rose. :)

message 12: by Cora (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cora Tea Party Princess BEST review of this book I've read!

message 13: by Rose (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose Ha, thank you! I might have to make a note to pen more of my reviews in verse :P

Liz* Fashionably Late Cade Why are you saying "bloody hell"?

Hilarious! I've just read it and still think all that mono scene was creepy.