Lorena's Reviews > Skin Trade

Skin Trade by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jun 14, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: paranormal

I swore I wasn't going to read any more of these, but I gave in and bought the Kindle version, since I definitely can't justify the shelf space for the actual hardcover books in this series anymore. First, the good stuff: relative to the last couple of books, anyway, this book actually had a PLOT, i.e., a mystery for Anita to solve. And as a result, she didn't actually have sex with anyone for at least the first half of the book, which means that some other stuff actually happened outside of the bedroom. The bad news: the writing continues to go downhill. There is no subtext in these books anymore, only text, because no one can have a single thought, no matter how mundane or inane, without expressing it verbally. Then all of the other characters present can utter their own mundane and inane reactions to whatever that thought might be. Mostly, it will not surprise you to learn, these thoughts have to do with Anita's sex life, and whether she is or is not a slut. People discuss this important issue CONSTANTLY, at every crime scene, in the morgue looking over gruesome bodies, and presumably while brushing their teeth and in their sleep.

[Side note to Anita Blake: your angry self-justifications to all and sundry about your sex life would probably carry more weight if YOU would stop treading the same mental waters yourself. It gets tiresome to watch you go through the same rigamarole of protesting faintly that you don't WANT to give in to the ardeur, you WON'T give in, it's so COMPLICATED, why ME, oh, OK now I'll have the best, most mutually satisfying sex possible with yet another person/whatever. You've been dealing with this for a long time, now. Either sack up and do what needs to be done without agonizing over it for everyone else's benefit first, or, I don't know, put an end to your incredible (yet sexiful!) suffering. And for everyone's sake, could you at LEAST remember, all on your own, to eat a damn sandwich every other day or so, without someone reminding you that food is necessary to ordinary mortals, much less whatever super sexy being you have become?]

This book also suffers from a serious lack of Jean Claude, an excess of disturbing discussions about possible sex with serial killers, an abrupt, blink-and-you'll-miss-it resolution to the Marmee Noir story line, and the introduction of even more besotted male characters to attempt to keep track of. I would utter my own faint protestations that I'm not going to read any more of this series now, but I will probably last about as long as Anita faced with another piece of supernatural beefcake when the next book comes out. It's like I'm afflicted with a version of the ardeur that forces me to continue to read this series even when I don't really want to. How will I ever maintain my smug sense of superiority over Twilight fans if this keeps up?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin Trade.

Started Reading
June 4, 2009 – Finished Reading
June 14, 2009 – Shelved
July 31, 2011 – Shelved as: paranormal

message 1: by Jamie (last edited Jun 14, 2009 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jamie Collins This is such a perfect review that I'm not even going to bother writing my own. I'll just say ditto, especially the part about not enough Jean-Claude. But at least Richard wasn't in it.

I'd actually be okay with the utter ridiculousness of this series if the writing wasn't getting so bad. In particular I'm really sick of Anita thinking a thing, and then saying it out loud. Why does the reader need to see the thought spelled out twice?

Kris H. Excellent review! I haven't read this book yet, but I feel your pain with the whole having a version of the ardeur where you can't resist reading these books. I bought it the day it came out. I just CAN'T RESIST even though I know I'm probably in for a huge disappointment.

message 3: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Schotker losee I actually Love and Miss Richard....He is still my favorite character!!!

skein Am I the only person who wonders how Anita hasn't yet exploded under all that self-importance? Or died from dehydration after a sexcapade?

Thanks for the review - now I don't have to read it! Although I probably will. Even without Jean-Claude.

Kris H. E.--you are definitely not the only one! LOL.

Romance Reader Oh, my gosh! You are my new hero! This is exactly how I felt about the book. But it's like a bag of potato chips--no matter how gross it gets after eating half the bag, you just can't seem to help yourself.

Amanda I'm glad I'm not the only one excited there was an actual plot and she didn't strip until about 400 pages in! I can't justify spending money on these but I'm glad this one gave me some hope :)

Kate OMG You said it all. Especially the Twilight part.