Magen McMinimy's Reviews > Burden of Sisyphus

Burden of Sisyphus by Jon Messenger

Most the time I don’t know where to start my reviews but this time I’ve got it!

I will start by saying this novel was not my typical genre. I’m mostly a paranormal romance, suspense romance and YA reader. I’ve been trying to expand my mind and read outside of my norm… and this book was definitely outside of my norm.

And it was so good. I’ve read a few shorts my the author and I find his style engaging, his attention to detail is pretty amazing, and is something I find I lack in my own writing. He is blaringly descriptive yet I didn’t find myself skimming because of it. It truly added to a fantastic read.

Vance is the leader of this amazing special ops team of super cool creatures. I won’t lie Eza was by far my favorite, though each added something unique and wonderful to the story.

As much as I loved the characters and found them amusing at times, there is no question that this book while imaginative is a bit violent and gruesome at times. And it is so very obvious that a man wrote it (that’s not a bad thing!)

As the team sets on this covert mission into a city where the inhabitants have disappeared, you can
almost feel the devastation as it’s described to you; super creepy at time and definitely made me feel like I was in a devastated post-apocalyptic/ post war city.

Messenger has a brilliant way of filling you with false hope in this book lol. So be ready to be shocked and at times devastated by what you read. I’m often accused of being sensitive (yes I cry at commercial featuring abused animals) and this book definitely had me crying throughout.

So all in all I’m so glad I stepped outside of my typical read as I really did enjoy this book. The one thing that caught me as a little off was Keryn’s character, the chapters devoted to her character felt like a separate novel to me. Though it all came together in the end. Had I not gotten to know her character as well as I did I’m not sure I would have had the emotional reaction to the ending of this book that I did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burden of Sisyphus.

April 20, 2013 – Shelved
April 21, 2013 – Started Reading
April 22, 2013 –
15.0% "I relly should be working ;)"
April 25, 2013 –