Jennifer's Reviews > Armored Hearts

Armored Hearts by Pauline Creeden

2951978
Apr 20, 2013

bookshelves: fantasy, steam-punk, inspirational, reviewed

Having never before been plunged into the popular sub-genre of steam punk, I wasn’t sure what to expect when beginning Armored Hearts. I won’t share with you the details of the story so much as my thoughts while reading it. Gareth is a surly, amusing and fascinating protagonist who takes himself perhaps a bit too seriously. And our heroine is his match and opposite in every way. British vs. American. Old fashioned vs. Forward thinking. Tabitha was a favorite character of mine, with her mind for “figures” and love of “automation.” This being the first steam punk I’ve been introduced to, I am unaware of some things that might make this novel set apart from the rest of its genre. But I can already attest that no other will dare to not only put forward Christian values and pair it alongside a dash of fantasy. The fantasy element doesn’t reveal itself fully until halfway through the novel. And once it shows it sits quite well beside the wonders of automation. I loved how these authors interwove their characters stories with the fantastical world they’ve created. So many books can lean too heavily in either direction so the other elements suffer, but not so with Armored Hearts.
Cleverly titled indeed, I loved the Victorian-isms, the mechanics that obviously went into fine tuning this timeless piece. Gareth is the sort of annoying sort you can’t help but to love in the end. And Jessamine and the other females of this novel give his archaic sensibilities a run for their money. The romance, while brief is fun and light hearted while still heartfelt.
I was left with anticipation for the sequel and the gears of my imagination freshly oiled and ready for the next grand adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armored Hearts.

April 20, 2013 – Shelved