Meredith's Reviews > Watership Down

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Sep 09, 2007

bookshelves: to-read

I NEVER READ THIS... here is why i never will:

when i was four (yes, FOUR) my dad was ready to hand me watership down. now i was a precocious little person but i was, after all, four and barely reading you know, like, easy books. so anyway i started hearing about this book called "watership down" and that it was about rabbits, not a some kind of ship that sinks. this confused little mere-mere. ever since then, my father has bothered me to read this book. seriuosly, he still asks every once in a while, "you ever read watership down?" and i'm stubborn in my ways so i always say NO and infuriate him

one day i'll read it
maybe after he dies
(MORBID)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watership Down.

Comments (showing 1-15)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 15: by Beverly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Beverly Hmmm...your stubbornness is keeping you from an EXCELLENT read!

message 14: by Electra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Electra My mom sent me and my bro off to the movies to see Watership Down. Needless to say it is NOT a childrens movie. I finally picked the book up a few a years ago. It really is a great book. You could read it and still tell your Pa you never read it.

message 13: by Beka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beka P oh you are missing out on a great book!!!!!! you should read it for yourself and not for your dad`s sake. lol. you just really need to read it

Marion Yah. And my daughter has a similar excuse for not watching Napoleon Dynamite....the two of you are really missing out. :)

message 11: by Akira (new) - added it

Akira you'll thank your dad once you finally get round to reading......which you will.

message 10: by Olivia (last edited Aug 30, 2010 12:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivia OK, so you don't wish to make the concession to your father, i get it. but there is a point where stubbornness is no longer simply that, it becomes an obsession. clearly not a healthy response...

David Fallon time to grow up, read the book

message 8: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary This is a pointless review about a pointless aversion to a book. If you don't want to read the book, don't read it.

Scoutsbff stupid reason to miss out on a great book....whatever

Pete So in a nutshell your Dad is giving you some really good advice and you are... spurning it?

Your issues with your Dad are your own but regardless of anything else he has told you he has hit the nail on the head this time. This book is amazing.

message 5: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Scott Just watch the movie again tonight for like the tenth time. this is my favorite movie of all times. I am in my English class and will be writing it for my paper. unbelievable story..

Michelle You do realize that by refusing to read this book because of your dad, you are still letting him affect your decisions, right? Maybe just decide for yourself, regardless of him, whether or not you want to read this book. (it sounds to me like you do!)

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Haas Please don't write free-form reviews. If we don't mind the conventions of writing, we'll soon find ourselves watching Nascar, eating Flamin' Hot Cheetos, wearing cutoff jean shorts and watching Two-and-a-half Men. It's a slippery slope. If you want to defy Daddy, get a tattoo; but read the book.

Amber It's a shame that you're doing this to yourself. WD is a stunningly beautiful story, albeit a little hard to get into. Once you get into it, though, it is truly irresistible. Need some convincing other than praise? I have a friend who, for over a year, was resolute in her decision to not read the book. I finally convinced her to read it not too long ago, and it is now her favorite book and has influenced her own writing. She can't stop talking about it!
Bottom line, "don't judge a book by its cover" really applies to this novel. I hope you, one day, decide to listen to your father's advice and crack open this masterpiece.

brittany Amber wrote: "It's a shame that you're doing this to yourself. WD is a stunningly beautiful story, albeit a little hard to get into. Once you get into it, though, it is truly irresistible. Need some convincing o..."

She's right!