Bee's Reviews > Winds of Fate

Winds of Fate by Mercedes Lackey

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read May 1, 2018 to May 5, 2018.

3.5* rounded down.

I'm so conflicted about this book. I enjoyed it more this time than I did when I first read it, more than a decade ago, but that's because of how it fits into the larger Valdemar universe. I hadn't read By The Sword or the Black Gryphon, or anything related to Vanyel. Now that I know more about them, the references make much more sense and the book seems more cohesive.

On the one hand, the book is great world building, and we see a lot more of the world from the POV of Heralds than we have before, and it ties in so many of the threads that Lackey has been setting up in her other books, and begins to set into motion the events of the Mage Storms, my favourite trilogy...

On the other, I find Skif incredibly annoying, Elspeth weaves back and forth between annoying and compelling, and half of Elsepth's sections make me want to toss the book aside. Darkwind's side is written much better, and the different threads of his plot are revealed, teased, and tied up nicely.

I can see why this series isn't my favourite, but it definitely reveals A LOT about the world, and it makes sense to include it in my reread of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winds of Fate.

2009 – Started Reading
Finished Reading
June 13, 2009 – Shelved
May 1, 2018 – Started Reading
May 1, 2018 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
May 2, 2018 –
page 159
34.72% "It's better than I remember it being.

The first time I read it, I hadn't read BTS; I thought this book followed the Arrows trilogy. It made everything about Kero, the Skybolts, and Quenten--essentially, the first half of Elspeth's arc--utterly confusing. Reading it directly after BTS, and with working knowledge of Vanyel, makes it much more enjoyable than the first read."
(Paperback Edition)
May 2, 2018 –
page 159
39.75% "It's much more enjoyable having just finished By The Sword. I didn't even know BTS existed the first time I read this, and the frequent references to it made Elspeth's arc confusing. It's better with a working knowledge of Vanyel's tale, too."
May 5, 2018 – Finished Reading